Here I am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
He everyone,

I am Albanian, living in the USA. I write fiction in Albanian and Greek, and non-fiction in Albanian and English (with great efforts). I did not have any interest in fiction ten years ago. However, at my twenties I appeared with hearing loss in both ears; though a great student and polyglot, I saw my career plans becoming futile. This is in a few words, how I discovered writing :)

In my writings I focus mostly on ethical issues, on politics, and futurism. I am influenced mostly by Rousseau, Marx, Critical Theory and, lately, by Arthur Schopenhauer. Some of their ideas I have transformed into fiction, but it is hard to say what future a hard of hearing emigre writer will have when both his countries (of origin and of residency) have no interest in non-conformist fiction.

I don't know for how long I may keep writing, but you can welcome me for now.... and let's hope that we can share experiences...

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:. I'm sorry for your hearing loss.

All forms of writing--including e-mail, texts, and message boards like this one--are great boons to those who are profoundly hard-of-hearing and :deaf:.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
:welcome:. I'm sorry for your hearing loss.

All forms of writing--including e-mail, texts, and message boards like this one--are great boons to those who are profoundly hard-of-hearing and :deaf:.

That's true... disability, also, has served often as a reason for people to discover their inner strength :)

By the way, I don't know how many cities in the US are called Albany, but I live in one of them (in NY) and I discovered that in the 17th century this city was called Albania (since the British used the Latin endings with "ia" instead of "y") and in the 18th century was renamed Albany :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, residents of my little town here in Oregon are Albanians. :greenie

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Albdantesque.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Alba. I am sorry for your hearing loss, and I love all the people you are influenced by.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Alba. I am sorry for your hearing loss, and I love all the people you are influenced by.

They made me discover that writers belong to humanity. When I wrote my first novel, I thought I was saying new things. Then I discovered that what I had to say was already said (so many times) from other writers through the millenia. Writers have to cope with that, I guess, and try to arrest their generation's feelings and attitudes, since there's nothing to say that humans do not know it already. It's just the way you arrest and represent things :)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
They made me discover that writers belong to humanity. When I wrote my first novel, I thought I was saying new things. Then I discovered that what I had to say was already said (so many times) from other writers through the millenia. Writers have to cope with that, I guess, and try to arrest their generation's feelings and attitudes, since there's nothing to say that humans do not know it already. It's just the way you arrest and represent things :)

This is very true. Wise words, my friend. It's like writing fiction. There are no new ideas, just new ways to frame the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.