Whistleblower who outed abusive superior fired from Texas Tech U

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.tbo.com/news/education/u...student-affairs-at-old-job-revealed-20160323/

Sounds run of the mill right? WRONG! Check this out: https://www.facebook.com/rleebyers/posts/10206735244472939?fref=nf&pnref=story

Taken from Richard Lee Beyers post linked above:

The part of the news story I’ve linked to that particularly concerns me is the part that involves Rick Wilber. Rick is a fine teacher and SF writer and a friend to all of us in Florida fandom.

So here is my post on facebook-friends' only-but this outrage must be challenged because of this officials injustice to a fellow writer that has NOTHING to do with his ability to perform in his teaching capacity at USF.
If you live in FL, this should piss you off, especially if you want to believe that good deeds get you job recognition and not personal vendetta's from people above you who have NO business in any position of authority when they can't even keep their inappropriate actions under control and dismiss someone over a vendetta they had with the person rather than something that was in an evaluation (that this person NEVER did though it was required of him to DO) that had to do with their actual JOB performance? This cannot be allowed to go unchecked, this is why people lose hope in this world, because abusive predators spread misery only because they are in a position to do so. I'm totally emailing about this. I'm angry. And I got email!

I know I've been gone for awhile, but I knew you all would be as PO'ed about this as I am and I wanted to make sure I shared this here before this man is taken away from his students and his job without any real reason. I am so going to compose an email as soon as I am mentally capable. Been having some physical issues as of late and can't devote the time I want to, to compose a proper response to this outrage. I will, oh yes, I will, but for now, in the meantime, I am asking for your help. Can we help let them know this is UNACCEPTABLE to take a man's job away and stain his reputation over a poorly acting official, who never even did a required evaluation on this teacher, but rather used a personal vendetta against him from actions relating to the official's own inappropriate actions with students in another state? Please add your voices to mine and my friends about this and let's STOP it from happening. The official Samuel B. in the article is the one I am furious with-Rick W. is the teacher being unfairly targeted here. Just making sure I am being clear as I just woke up twenty minutes ago, and have only had ONE cup of coffee so far. ;)

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It took me a bit to untangle the argument.

So this is not about the subject of the article, Samuel Bradley, who had sexual relations with his women students, but rather about professor Rick Wilbur, who Bradley dismissed from his job at Texas Tech University in apparent revenge for reporting Bradley's treatment of women colleagues?

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Bingo!!! And I know what you mean Alessandra, I had to read it like four times yesterday morning before I was confident I had my head around the real injustice here. Thank you for summing it up perfectly and you definitely did. Thank you! And it wasn't just Rick's outting this official's indiscretions, it was also because he was vocal in his opposition of things that Samuel was proposing in meetings or something. SO it's deeper than just the fiasco in Texas.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think maybe the thread title should be changed. Using that article headline is misleading.

Maybe something like "Whistleblower who outed abusive superior fired from Texas Tech U" or something like that.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It took me a bit to untangle the argument.

So this is not about the subject of the article, Samuel Bradley, who had sexual relations with his women students, but rather about professor Rick Wilbur, who Bradley dismissed from his job at Texas Tech University in apparent revenge for reporting Bradley's treatment of women colleagues?

No, that's not quite it. Wilbur taught at USF, not Texas Tech. Bradley dismissed him, Wilbur contested it and was denied and is now appealing. And that's when some info surfaced about Bradley's dismissal from Texas Tech.

By my reading, Bradley seems like a slimeball. But there's not enough info to judge whether or not Wilbur was unfairly treated. Obviously, Wilbur's story says this is the case, but Wilbur is trying to get his job back. People do sometimes shade the truth in such situations. Note the following from the article:

Enrollment [at the Zimmerman School of Advertising} has dropped every year since a fall 2007 high of 1,428 students and now stands at 862.
Bradley was hired to improve things, I'm guessing. And that might mean changes in the staff and the curriculum, to be sure.

That said, unfair is unfair, and if Wilbur's firing was retaliatory, I hope his appeal is successful.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I think maybe the thread title should be changed. Using that article headline is misleading.

Maybe something like "Whistleblower who outed abusive superior fired from Texas Tech U" or something like that.

Done, thank you for suggesting it!

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
No, that's not quite it. Wilbur taught at USF, not Texas Tech. Bradley dismissed him, Wilbur contested it and was denied and is now appealing. And that's when some info surfaced about Bradley's dismissal from Texas Tech.

By my reading, Bradley seems like a slimeball. But there's not enough info to judge whether or not Wilbur was unfairly treated. Obviously, Wilbur's story says this is the case, but Wilbur is trying to get his job back. People do sometimes shade the truth in such situations. Note the following from the article:

Bradley was hired to improve things, I'm guessing. And that might mean changes in the staff and the curriculum, to be sure.

That said, unfair is unfair, and if Wilbur's firing was retaliatory, I hope his appeal is successful.

What gets me is that this Bradley man, chose to fire a teacher based on personal problems rather than his actual job performance, which he had elected to ignore performing a required evaluation on this teacher, and yet fired him despite not doing his OWN job-evaluating the teacher. To me that reeks of favoritism and elitism and should be punished. Not just put on admin leave, but fired and this decision he made reversed. I am going to be composing a letter and would appreciate feedback on it-in the password protected forum of course-but I really would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this as I am mulling over this situation in my mind. Thank you for your responses. It means a lot to me. And friends of mine who actually know this teacher.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Still haven't been able to get my letter started. Anyone else willing to write a letter to the dean and asst. dean at USF? I mean really, who's with me??? :D

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
The system's goal is obedience - that has never been anything less than clear.