AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Books you thought you would like but didn't?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Atonement - Ian McEwan
    Pretty much anything by David Nicholls

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    Hmm, I looked up about both Skulduggery Pleasant and Alcatraz... I might give the first book in each of those series' a go. If I don't care for them, I'd be willing to bet #2 son will enjoy them. Thanks for the recs! (lately my choice in books has really sucked)

Truthwitch sounds rather like it would be a waste of time and money. I always thought one of the basic rules of writing was 'don't give your characters similar sounding names'.
    BTW, I recommend stopping at #3 of Skulduggery Pleasant. Around book four I felt like the following things all happened at once:

- Jumped the Shark.
    - Serious case of Cerberus Syndrome.
    - Books got longer and longer as the pace got slower and slower.
    - The author developed Golden Word Syndrome.

All of which combined meant the ultimate sin: This "screwball fantasy" wasn't funny anymore. I made it through book five and stopped. Still sad about it, because I wanted to see the end--but then a bunch of my favorites (SPOILERS) died or became evil in a way that meant they were going to die in the end. In the same book. So I stopped caring.

Also, to add to this list--DREADNOUGHT by April Daniels. It's actually quite a good book, and I'm so pleased to see a transfemale superhero in a book that I can snag off my library shelf. I didn't not like it because it was a bad book--I didn't like it because it was too good at demonstrating the effects of emotional abuse, too good at showing the reaction many parents have when their child comes out, too good at dealing with the real things that impact a transwoman coming out. Lately I'm reading purely for escapism, and this book wasn't good for that. So it's a very good book and I recommend it, but I won't be reading book two. At least not yet.
    "Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days, nothing else matters." - Neil Gaiman

In the Batman movies in the 60s, the Batmobile was designed to run on jet fuel. It looked cool and went fast but it could only run for about 7 seconds at a time. So now you know why a hyperactive project-hopping writer is called JetFueledCar.

It's not a political Twitter, but I'm a political person, so it amounts to the same thing.

practical experience, FTW Jan74's Avatar
    The Land of Painted Caves - Jean Auel, I loved the original three novels, but the last three were hard to read and by the time the fifth and final came out it was a horrible read.
    Fifty Shades of Grey-E.L James, this book was hyped up and when I finally read it I couldn't finish it.
    Willow brook road- Sherryl Woods, it is the only book of hers I've attempted to read and if her other novels are similar in nature I'm shocked she's considered a best selling novelist. When she was describing one of the characters it was so cliche and corny, I didn't make it past the first chapter. I'm shocked this is a series on tv.

"You fail only if you stop writing" ~Ray Bradbury~
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs" ~Stephen King~
    WIP Romance or Women's fiction, hopefully by the end I'll know.
    "If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word." ~Margaret Atwood~
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ~Mary Angelou~

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345