• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
For a disturbing report on Sullivan Maxx agent Melissa Lee, see this thread in Ask the Agent (I've been given permission to reveal the agent's name.)

Here are the basics, from the original poster:

This is a red flag: an agent shouldn't start subbing out a manuscript before offering a representation contract, or make a contract contingent on getting publication offers. Hedging your bets this way is not reputable behavior.

The OP followed up.
Writers be warned.

Ms. Lee doesn't appear to have had any professional agenting experience before getting hired by Sullivan Maxx, and she doesn't appear to have made any book placements for her clients. Which makes her unprofessional behavior less surprising, but no less disturbing.

One also has to wonder about the policies of an agency that's willing to hire an apparently completely unqualified, dubiously committed agent.

- Victoria

That poor writer. This is why these forums are such a valuable tool.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Just as an FYI, I googled this agency today because of a question that popped up about one of the former agents and came up with this:

http://www.lexiumentertainment.com/sullivan-maxx-literary-agency/

Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency recently became an affiliate of Lexium Entertainment and Talent Agency and moved our primary office to our new location in suburban Atlanta, Ga.
I don't know anything about Lexium Entertainment or if this will change what looked to be 'uncertain' practices at Sullivan Maxx or not. Just thought you'd like to know.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Footnote: Although still listed at Lexium, Ms. McClure sold Sullivan Maxx and is currently an acquisitions editor at Oghma Creative Media. (LinkedIn profile)