• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

VerbalEyze Press

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
However, we have been in this business long enough to know that unsolicited manuscript submissions from an unpublished author just beginning to build a platform is a long-shot with most publishing houses.

First, platform doesn't matter (unless you're talking about non-fiction).

Second, submitting to agents/publishers is not a long-shot if you are writing good work and it's professionally presented.

As others have said, I think your goals are laudable, but I agree that the publishing aspect doesn't seem that thought-out. What is the point of publishing these works if no one is ever going to buy them? I'd suggest focusing on maybe teaching the ins and outs of submitting to literary/genre journals, since that would get the work out into the world and in front of an audience (assuming it's good enough, and you target suitable journals).

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger, my mom published a book of my elementary school poetry. That was years ago. As far as I know it's never sold a single copy.

If I didn't know beforehand that poetry from an unknown author rarely sells, I'd be crushed.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
First, platform doesn't matter (unless you're talking about non-fiction).

Second, submitting to agents/publishers is not a long-shot if you are writing good work and it's professionally presented.

As others have said, I think your goals are laudable, but I agree that the publishing aspect doesn't seem that thought-out. What is the point of publishing these works if no one is ever going to buy them? I'd suggest focusing on maybe teaching the ins and outs of submitting to literary/genre journals, since that would get the work out into the world and in front of an audience (assuming it's good enough, and you target suitable journals).

Agreed.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]>First, platform doesn't matter (unless you're talking about non-fiction)<[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Agree as well! [/FONT]
While it's nice to encourage young people and their talents, it can do more harm then good if they begin to believe they ARE now Published and it will be a simple step to find, as an Adult, other publishers open to them. Especially those young writers that do poetry. When all they get are rejections, it seems more of a blow then if one had never been published at all. Again, like child actors who then find out, as an Adult, they are not wanted.

Sylvir

Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell me where you found that statement in our material? I've looked through it and couldn't find a statement like that. That is not a claim we make. As I stated in another response, we have no problem working with young writers for the explicit purpose of helping them get published by a third-party publishing house if that is their goal.

Well oopsies on me for not being subscribed or something, only just stumbled across this development. Sorry for awakening an old thread...

In response to the direct question, I was referring to the sentence, "The publishing industry can look impenetrable to a young writer, but with VerbalEyze it doesn’t have to be," on the Tumblr post that I first mentioned, which you already explained. To be fair I understand what you mean about it being impenetrable in terms of query and submission, though it was similar enough to the old 'most publishers don't consider unpublished writers' to still ping an alarm in my brain. Mostly because the submission and rejection process, though disheartening, is unfortunately necessary for quality and suitability control so doing away with it wouldn't do authors any favours.

Regarding what you've said about helping young authors, others have already expressed their appreciation for the intent but doubt as to the benefits of publishing and I'll second that. I'm not terribly keen on the volunteer model either because, unfortunately, I'd like publishing to be about the money when money means sales and sales means readers. The most important part, in my view, about the traditional publishing model is that the publisher is a business, because being a business guarantees that they'll take my book (and my rights) and be motivated to make it sell. If there were a way to get readers without selling books maybe it would be different but unfortunately as it is, money means audience.

I too would be curious to know sales statistics. But otherwise, I do wish Verbalyze best wishes for its workshop and educational endeavours.

Last edited: