DC talent workshop for writers and artists

thwaitesyellow

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I would drop this here for anyone who might be interested and/or eligible: https://www.dccomicstalentworkshop.com/.

DC has an open call for artists and writers to submit their work to them. Those that they select will be included in comics workshops (separate tracks for writers and artists), with the possibility of progressing onto the "master class" in Burbank. This seems to be the first time they're running the writers' workshop and it also looks like you need to have some kind of fiction published (comics preferred, of course) to be eligible/competitive.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the big kicker - the whole "established" thing. It's not surprising, but considering the issues DC is having with it's talent, they might want to seriously reconsider the close-off for that. But maybe they're hedging their bets that 'established' artists can afford to travel to the master class.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Yeah. That was the subtle detail I missed for the first couple weeks, too. Seems they're not looking for fresh new talent after all, but established pros they can forcibly mould to their own (currently questionable) standards.

Shame, really. Guess I'll stick to subbing 2000AD and working on this small-press kids title for now.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
No, the subtext is pretty clear - business connection/recommendation + portfolio of completed work. That says "established" to me. At the very least, some indie credits under your belt would be important.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
One Mr Berganza isn't among the participants, is he?:e2brows:

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine, due to Mr. Berganza's exile into the all male Superman office, that there's little chance he's being allowed to interact with what could be a mixed-sex group of applicants. Mind you, it'd be better if he were exiled to the inhospitable plains of Venus where he can't assault anyone, but this is apparently the best we can get.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I just sent in my application. If anyone's still considering, know this: you'll need to download a copy of their submission agreement, print it out, sign and date it, then scan it back into your computer for uploading. Fortunately the library where my laptop and I get free WiFi was able to do all that for me. Also, they won't be sending out notifications until the end of August.

I don't think I have much of a shot here. I'm female, for starters. I'm over 30. (Waaaaaay over 30.) My body of work consists of half a dozen SF/F stories and a bunch of paranormal romances for ebook publishers. For my writing sample I sent them the closest thing I have to comic book writing: a M/M romantic comedy about a superhero in love with his arch-nemesis. Unless they're looking for a writer for a Midnighter book, I don't think I have much of a chance.

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
"Aaron Gillespie (LadyDemon, Bionic Man)"
can only assume it was for Bionic Man, because all the Chaos stuff he did was excrement. if he can get picked up on the strength of that, then i guess there's hope for all of us.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Called it: All established, renown or award-winning writers. No new names whatsoever. I almost feel like I deserve an apology from someone who doubted my interpretation of what they were looking for ;)

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Just found out about this. Too late for this year, but maybe I'll try next one. I'm not much "established" but hey, I've tried the Top Cow contests and got rejected twice, so wouldn't mind to get rejected by DC once more haha :)

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Called it: All established, renown or award-winning writers. No new names whatsoever. I almost feel like I deserve an apology from someone who doubted my interpretation of what they were looking for ;)

I called it first, actually.

Just sayin'.