The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Starlight Literary Agency

Starlight Literary Agency

http://starlightliterary.com/index.html

This is a new one listed on Publisher's Marketplace. Their about page doesn't show them having any experience and they don't have any authors or books listed. I would definitely do more research on this one. Or perhaps wait until they get some sales first.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    They say they started out in film and television, but if they've actually been doing business in Hollywood, they should be able to afford a much better website, and they should be talking up their projects. Instead, you get amateurish stuff like:

For inquiries about the film/tv option status for any SLA property, contact us using the contact form and write film rights in the comment section before your inquiry.
    Somebody wants to option a property they represent, and Starlight can't even give them a phone number? I don't think so.
    Last edited by HapiSofi; 03-27-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: I screwed up the formatting.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Wow, that website is a throwback from the 90s.

Comma splice on the front page and Molly's name changes to Melanie halfway through her agent profile. Not sure I'd trust them with editing...
    It annoys me how people like squirrels but not rats. At the end of the day they're the same thing, except that squirrels have had a better upbringing. - Karl Pilkington

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Wow, that website is a throwback from the 90s.

Comma splice on the front page and Molly's name changes to Melanie halfway through her agent profile. Not sure I'd trust them with editing...
    Heh. It's cut-n-paste:

Melanie Reed Contact Us6
    melanie-f-reed.com/melanie_reed_agency_006.htm
    With an emphasis on fiction, Melanie selects the books she represents ... books that make her cry, but most of all she loves the all-around un-put-downable book.
    (Goggle cache, because the page no longer exists.)

Now, to be fair, there's lots of similar bios out there ...

http://www.fbliterary.com/about/
    Faye Bender formed her agency in 2004 and has been in the business for almost 20 years. With an emphasis on fiction, she selects the books she represents based on the narrative voice and strength of writing. Faye works with previously published as well as first-time authors, and her tastes are wide-ranging. She is a member of the Association of Authors’ Representatives.
    But filing off the serial numbers is kinda important.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    ... filing off the serial numbers is kinda important.
    Bad form. Even useless scam agents give the appearance of trying.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.