AI Writes a Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002826970

“I writhed with joy, which I experienced for the first time, and kept writing with excitement.

“The day a computer wrote a novel. The computer, placing priority on the pursuit of its own joy, stopped working for humans.”

Not clear how much the human part of the team who created the AI interfered in the process.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I was just coming into Roundtable to post this! My husband shared it with me on Facebook and asked what my writing forum would think about it. :) I'll admit, I had a mini rage-stroke reading through the article, and I was not anticipating that. I just think, like, humans are getting along just fine in their creative pursuits. Why is this even a thing?? Let's develop robots that can wash my damn dishes and go grocery shopping for me so I can have more time to write myself.:rant:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of a William Gibson novel where the AIs are veeeeerrrry eccentric and often quite artistic. They mention one AI who no one can communicate with anymore because it's endlessly writing and re-writing a book.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I say "cool". I don't mind another writer joining the fray, especially if they're good at it.

I don't see myself being replaced by AI writers any time soon. Sure, they can write books, but they can't write the ones that I do.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They mention one AI who no one can communicate with anymore because it's endlessly writing and re-writing a book.

I'll feel replaced when an AI gets writer's block for days because it fears its work sucks.

jjdebenedictis

Registered
Reaction score
I'll feel replaced when an AI gets writer's block for days because it fears its work sucks.
I'd actually be keen to outsource that particular part of the writing experience.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

I'd actually be keen to outsource that particular part of the writing experience.

Ditto these.

I suspect the machine writes a certain type of novel and probably can't write say an epic fantasy along the lines of GoT.

But still, impressive.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I suspect the machine response would be more along the lines of, "404 - Useless Anxieties Not Found".

But yeah.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I'm a bit skeptical. First, because postmodernists have been making computer generated poetry for ages, in which the code is just as important as its output, and second because it was only coauthored by the machine and had a lot of human input. Also, from what I gather this isn't even the first computer generated novel ([url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_This_Once)[/URL]. Really cool implications for digital media and computational linguistics, though.

But I might start stockpiling canned goods, just in case.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I still remember reading the first short story written by AI, and that was back in the late seventies. It was actually pretty good.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Future headlines..?

AI Author Embroiled in Contract Dispute with AI Publisher

Bit Coin Royalties Deleted - AI Scammer Sought as Cyber-Person of Interest

. . . we live in interesting times . . . :Shrug:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Future headlines..?

AI Author Embroiled in Contract Dispute with AI Publisher

AI Author shows remarkable bad judgment in responding to critical AI Reviewers on Amazon and GoodReads...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Artificial Intelligence pens Authentic Stupidity. Ensuing flame war flouncing results in self-deletion. Singularity to follow.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Is it as good as Chapter 34 of Atlanta Nights?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
at this point i'm guessing a food processor would do a better job than i would do.

jjdebenedictis

Registered
Reaction score
at this point i'm guessing a food processor would do a better job than i would do.

It's certain to be published, which makes it way better than anything I have written, or likely will ever write.

Oi! No self-flagellation, youse! The world flagellates us enough as it is. Flagellate yourselves only with hugs. :e2kissy:

Status
Not open for further replies.