• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for Contemporary Fantasy (81k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm seeking a beta for an 81k contemporary fantasy (blurb below). The book is second in a series but almost all the characters are new, and there are shifts in narration and setting which make it comprehensible as a stand-alone. I can provide a summary of the first book for context.

I read and critique fast, usually within one week, though I don’t expect the same—anything within three weeks is fine. I’ve done 26 complete beta reads for AWers since 2014. I prefer doing straight swaps, but I know schedules don't always align, so don’t let that stop you.

Your WIP should be complete. Almost any genre is fine, as long as your work is great :). My favorite is fantasy, but any genre fiction is possible. Not a fan of inspirational, erotica, gory violence/horror, or lit-fic where nothing actually happens. I’ll read YA or adult levels of genre fiction, but I prefer my YA with real consequences. Character deaths are fine; I've always assumed “kill your precious darlings” should be taken literally!

PM me if interested and we can swap sample chapters. Thanks!

Blurb(ish):
SPANGLES

All her life, Ella has seen the spangles: lead-colored snowflakes that drift across her vision, invisible to everyone else. But after realizing they are not harmless distractions but signs of foreordained death, she lives in constant fear. In time, she learns she has control over the spangles, but cannot decide if she is cursed to cause suffering, or blessed by the means to stop it.

Three thousand miles away, a woman named Perpetua discovers she can see how long people will live. Depressed and confused, she contemplates suicide once she learns she can save multiple people from their deaths by sacrificing another life. Appalled at her ability and the cost it requires, she resists using it until a stranger offers her a proposition and she realizes she can do more than cause pain.

Ella chooses to run from her fate, Perpetua embraces it, yet these opposite decisions bring both to a crucial nexus which will determine not only their own future, but that of hundreds of innocents. Can they both come to terms with their talents to defeat a supernatural threat whose twisted sense of justice will seek them out for reasons of its own?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a genre at which I have even minimal competence, but I want to publicly thank you for beta reading for so many others. Seriously, thanks!

Silver_Lightning

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I may be interested in being a beta. I'm more of a story-line plot hole character nit-pick kinda guy, not a grammar nazi, so if that works for you, I'd love to help. I'm currently on revisions for my own 110k epic fantasy, so let me know if you want to swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.