Boaty McBoatface leads public vote to name new £200m British research vessel

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It's also possible he's not as famous in non-scientific circles in the U.S. But even if he were, I'd muddle his name with the film guy.

They're brothers, FYI. Richard Attenborough is the actor and director, David Attenborough is the broadcaster. And I agree it's a perfect choice. David Attenborough is iconic. I grew up watching his nature documentaries.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, I'm not great with names. It's somewhat weird, given that I have an unusually good memory for just about everything else, but names I get hopelessly muddled.

It's also possible he's not as famous in non-scientific circles in the U.S. But even if he were, I'd muddle his name with the film guy.

They're brothers, so it's an easy mistake to make.

Try to turn up the original BBC version of the Life documentary series. (When it aired in the US they replaced him with Oprah. The only way this would be even remotely excusable were if they'd instead gotten Morgan Freeman, but that was just blasphemous.) Then enjoy gorgeous animal footage narrated by a soothing British voice. And before you know it you've learned everything there is to know about the mating habits of the Taiwanese mole shrew. Good times.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Jerry Springer?

(╯°□°)╯︵(\ .o.)\

Is there some kind of Unicef charity where you can donate to bring Americans better television? Like, they air-drop box sets of the superior BBC versions of House of Cards and The Office?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
(╯°□°)╯︵(\ .o.)\

Is there some kind of Unicef charity where you can donate to bring Americans better television? Like, they air-drop box sets of the superior BBC versions of House of Cards and The Office?

I haven't seen House of Cards, but I'm with you absolutely on The Office. I dislike the American version, but own the boxed set of the British version.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if people would feel a little better being killed by a drone called Droney McDroneface?

And, for what it's worth this was PR genius. They picked a good name and got the public hyperaware and involved in the whole deal. FTW.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
It's somehow very apt that this image of populism is a submarine.

The last time the Scots voted to remain part of the UK, one of the big debating points was Trident - a submarine based nuclear deterrent. Since then we've inherited Submarine May as our Prime Minister.

It seems that America has walls and the UK has submarines. Funny what people will vote for, isn't it?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's somehow very apt that this image of populism is a submarine.

The last time the Scots voted to remain part of the UK, one of the big debating points was Trident - a submarine based nuclear deterrent. Since then we've inherited Submarine May as our Prime Minister.

It seems that America has walls and the UK has submarines. Funny what people will vote for, isn't it?

There's a big UK submarine base in Scotland, isn't there? I admit I've wondered how it will be dealt with if Scotland votes to leave the UK. I'd argue that a Trident submarine base is of more functional significance than Trump's wall, though there's also definitely symbolism there re the UK as a nuclear power.

Also, hmmm, it won't really be the UK (or Great Britain) anymore if Scotland leaves. So what will the remainder's new name be?

If Scotland votes to leave, Perhaps Trump will come visit and try to stir up support for replacing Hadrian's wall with something newer and shinier. I'm sure he'd love to have a boat named after him, though an oil tanker or nuclear sub would be more Trump's style than a research vessel that will likely be studying the effects of something he deems an "alternative fact."

Last edited:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Also, hmmm, it won't really be the UK (or Great Britain) anymore if Scotland leaves. So what will the remainder's new name be?

One wag came up with the idea of calling what's left "Poundland", which is a range of budget shops in the UK.

It's funny. In the last Scottish independence referendum, I argued that Scotland shouldn't leave the UK as it would struggle without the financial support of the rest of the UK. Now that the UK is hurtling towards a Brexit that no-one understands, I reckon Scotland probably have the right idea.

Weird times we're living in.