Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm going to rant just a bit.

I loathe presidential election years, because this kind of situation happens over and over and over, and we have months more to look forward to.

I hate that the politics room is currently skewed so far to the left - to the point where, if there was ANY way I could do so, credibly, I'd be posting from a much more conservative point of view than I typically vote. I've seen the political pendulum swing back and forth in here, over the years, and honestly when I feel best about the room is when I'm getting equal amounts of hate mail from both ends of the spectrum complaining about our obvious bias against [liberals][conservatives].

I'm not getting that mail from the left-wingers in here, right now. I'm getting the sneering, smug, self-congratulatory sorts of messages that make me wince and want to distance myself from the left-wing, too, honestly.

Where on earth are the common sense, don't-spend-more-than-you-make, mind-yer-own-beeswax, live-and-let-live, support-small-businesses, reward-entrepreneurship sorts of politicians? We don't seem to have any, on either side, any more.

How stupid do we, as Americans, want to get? Do we WANT to have a system where everyone we can possibly elect is already bought and paid for by multinational corporate conglomerates, because those are the only people who can afford to run? Do we really want to be ruthlessly strip-mined for our money, our knowledge, and our labor by those same corporations?

On a level, I can't blame people who want to vote for Trump just because they think he's not a puppet with his strings being pulled by corporate overlords -- I personally think they're missing that the guy IS a corporate puppet master -- he's apparently just decided to cut out having to pay for middle-men, like Senators and press-secretaries and such.

I can't blame people who want to burn the whole system down, either. They don't feel represented, because guess what? They're not represented. None of us are -- not really. Oh, they throw us a few bones: Same-sex marriage? Sure. Makes for a more stable tax base, and honesty, hardly anyone really cares anymore, besides the ultra-religious. Go to war on birth-control and abortion, and talk about Jesus a lot? You betcha -- at least, if it'll make folks feel like there's someone in government actually fighting for the things they care about, too.

Meanwhile, the more ground we're actually losing, economically, educationally, socially, culturally, and artistically.

Ugh. I hate presidential election years in the politics room.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
We are losing. All of us. In subtle, insidious ways that we barely notice. I do notice that people on the far extremes of the spectrum seem to be more invested in the process and the outcome. I stand in the center, and I do care. I just don't know how to fix it. And I have no idea what the best choices are.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I will frequently say that we've had so many years of separation, segregation, and finger pointing that we've lost sight of how to work as one unit and compromise to do what's best for everyone.

Heaven forbid a compromise because it means one side doesn't get everything it wants and it doesn't crush the opposition. :sarcasm

Maybe it's time to quit dividing, since politicians have fully conquered the US People, and start rebuilding?

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
This is the weirdest, most frustrating, and yes, SCARY presidential election I have ever experienced. And I'm not sure if that's simply because I'm no longer too young to notice, or too busy in college/grad school, or too sleep-deprived with my babies, etc. But no, I really think it's this election. I hate it so much. It's really showing the puppet masters' control of the strings, no matter how much I'd like to convince myself otherwise. And the world seems to be in such disarray, that this POTUS must be very wise in the global sense. Not seeing that in most of these candidates. So yeah, I completely agree with you.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is hard, because I'm heavily tilted toward one side, so maybe this opinion is the result of bias, but I feel like the current climate a lot of places is the result of the GOP's implosion. There are absolutely sane, logical, highly intelligent republicans. Their party has been taken over by such a circus that it's immensely polarizing both inside and outside the GOP.

I get there are republicans who can't support democratic candidates, and thus might feel they've got to stick by their party, but there's a lot, especially Trump-based, that's hard to defend logically. I have no idea if fewer people who support the GOP in general are commenting, leading to the tilt, or if there are fewer in toto, but I sort of think that if more candidates or the presumptive nominee were more like a Romney or even McCain, there'd be more balance, as it'd be easier to discuss stuff in a more balanced way. Again, that may be my bias, but while I disagree wholeheartedly with McCain on most stuff, and think some bad things about him, I don't think he's simply a deluded lunatic. Thus I can understand people supporting him, and figure there are discussions to be had. There are always discussions to be had, but when one person's candidate is talking the way Trump has been, I think it's harder to do.

As for the purchased politicians, I think that's been a thing close to forever in this country. You need money to run.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
As long as politics is treated a game(we even root for and watch tv shows, movies etc that involve this type of behavior) it won't change. Our legal system is the same way and has been for awhile. The law isn't about finding the truth, it's about the lawyers maneuvering and manipulating the law(find loopholes to exploit and the opposition blocking them.) We teach debate in schools as if winning is the only goal instead of making it about two sides working from two perspectives to find a workable goal together.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes feel like living in a world with corporations is like living in a world with poorly socialized, half insane artificial intelligences.

So, I say, screw burning the government down. Lets break up every corporation above a certain size, redistribute the money, they resume from there...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I sometimes feel like living in a world with corporations is like living in a world with poorly socialized, half insane artificial intelligences.

Yeah - it's like the Charlie Stross observation that corporations are essentially our alien overlords:
Corporations do not share our priorities. They are hive organisms constructed out of teeming workers who join or leave the collective: those who participate within it subordinate their goals to that of the collective, which pursues the three corporate objectives of growth, profitability, and pain avoidance. (The sources of pain a corporate organism seeks to avoid are lawsuits, prosecution, and a drop in shareholder value.)

Corporations have a mean life expectancy of around 30 years, but are potentially immortal; they live only in the present, having little regard for past or (thanks to short term accounting regulations) the deep future: and they generally exhibit a sociopathic lack of empathy.

<snipped>

We are now living in a global state that has been structured for the benefit of non-human entities with non-human goals. They have enormous media reach, which they use to distract attention from threats to their own survival. They also have an enormous ability to support litigation against public participation, except in the very limited circumstances where such action is forbidden. Individual atomized humans are thus either co-opted by these entities (you can live very nicely as a CEO or a politician, as long as you don't bite the feeding hand) or steamrollered if they try to resist.

In short, we are living in the aftermath of an alien invasion.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
So, I say, screw burning the government down. Lets break up every corporation above a certain size, redistribute the money, they resume from there...

how might you achieve the latter without the former?

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
That's...why I said "screw that." I don't think burning the government down is a good idea.

We need a Goldilocks government - neither too much, nor too little.

I don't think you can vote for Sanders and be consistent with what you just typed above. Government will certainly grow under Bernie.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, Mac, I'm someone who normally leans further to the conservative side, but in the present election year as it stands, there's not much of a way to support that position without supporting people and ideals that are distasteful to more than the "left."

We're used to candidates who might be claimed by one party or another, but who ultimately in their personal claims are closer to the middle than either party purports to be. This year, that's not the case. The forum isn't unbalanced; the race itself is.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I mostly agree with Rob - humans are naturally self-interested creatures, and there will always remain a subset who are predisposed with the talent and ambition for hoarding resources. IMO, they're going to remain fairly good at doing so, no matter what restrictions are in place.

I don't have a particularly good solution, but certain members of the current crop scare the crap out of me.

eta: Also agree with Cyia.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh, and sigh again, on the state of US politics.
-As far as the corporate overlords go, I agree with up thread comments and add that I knew we (collective US) were doomed when employment interviews started to required a deposit of bodily fluid. I'd rather swap spit with my dog than pee in a cup for a job.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I don't think you can vote for Sanders and be consistent with what you just typed above. Government will certainly grow under Bernie.

Yeah. I agree. I like Bernie on a lot of levels, but I can't in good conscience vote for him for president because I honestly don't think he's qualified -- and additionally, I do think government would grow, under a Sanders presidency, and grow in ways that penalize self-employed individuals and small-business-owners even more.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

Well, as I'm not telepathic or a clairvoyant, I cannot say that I know that a Sanders presidency would be "larger" or "smaller" , but I do know that the parts of the government I find objectionable (for instance, the military industrial complex) will be given less power and the parts that I think should exist (our social security networks) would be given more power.

See...the way I see it, conservative politicians say they want less government.

But what we've gotten is instead a government skewed towards profit and corporations.

So, I'd rather have someone who wants to bring the government back in line with what it should be doing (providing for the common good) than someone who will use my tax monies to commit war crimes like Trump.

EDIT: And just to make it clear, I'm not saying that I think Sanders would be perfect. Just of the choices offered, he's my favorite.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I will frequently say that we've had so many years of separation, segregation, and finger pointing that we've lost sight of how to work as one unit and compromise to do what's best for everyone.
Unfortunately, as a people we seem to have lost the ability not only to work toward a common goal, but to have a common goal.

At one time, it seems to me, there was indeed a common goal and the arguments were over the best way to achieve it. For example, the big controversy over whether it was best for non English-speaking students to learn English by total immersion -- classes were to be taught only in English and they would quickly acquire the language.

On the other side was the concept the classes should be bilingual, and that way they would not only learn the subject, they would learn English much more easily.

Which approach was more correct is not relevant – my point is that both approaches had passionate advocates – but their goal, that of getting non-English speaking students to learn English, was exactly the same.

These days, I think there are very different ideas about what type of society we wish to live in. It's no longer an argument over the best way to achieve something, it's argument over what we're trying to achieve. There are still some things everyone agrees on, but they are becoming fewer with the passage of time. And that makes finding any common ground next to impossible and results in a lot of bitterness and anger on both sides.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I would also say that the strong - and confused - tendency to have "left" synonymous with "liberal" (and, to some extent, also "right" with "conservative") is not helping anything. The words aren't actually equivalent. I'm very liberal, but the far-left is too authoritarian for my sensibilities.

The whole circus is an ugly mess right now. It's depressing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More often than not, I look at how politicians are owned by corporations and think WALL-E got it right. The president was actually the CEO of Buy-n-Large and they were the Government and everything else.

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I agree. I like Bernie on a lot of levels, but I can't in good conscience vote for him for president because I honestly don't think he's qualified -- and additionally, I do think government would grow, under a Sanders presidency, and grow in ways that penalize self-employed individuals and small-business-owners even more.

It is not Bernie's intention to penalize the self employed or the small business owners. He is not against capitalism, just the system of capitalism where the rules are skewed towards the big corporate interests over that of the working class. Our government wastes a lot of money through corporate welfare, a bloated military budget and military contractors, farm subsidies, monetary incentives to the fossil fuel industries, as if they need any incentives, and expensive wars that we can't afford. These are government wastes that both democrats and republicans support.

Our preamble to the US constitution guarantees certain things to the people of this country and among these things are to promote the general welfare and to secure the blessings of prosperity to ourselves and our posterity. Bernie Sanders thinks that a country such as ours should educate its people to compete in a global market, he believes that a country such as ours should be able to provide health care to its population especially if we as a group pay for something that will benefit us all. Why shouldn't the people of this country share in the wealth of this nation? The minimum wage has not risen since I started working back in the early 70s, yet the price of living has gone up considerably since then. The system is broken and it needs to be fixed and Bernie Sanders is the only candidate willing to take on that problem.

I consider myself to be a fiscal conservative and socially liberal. I don't believe in wasting money and I see both parties guilty of doing just that. The banking system seems to gamble with our money and I see gambling as a big waste. I don't consider it a waste of money to educate the population, or to provide health care to all, or to rebuild our failing infrastructure. I can't vote republican because I believe in the freedom of our citizens to have control over our own bodies without government interference. I believe that the first amendment right of freedom of religion applies to all of us not just Christians. As a gay man I have the religious right not to live under religious laws and I have a religious right to believe that being gay and all that goes with it should not be denied me by the government. I believe in my 4th amendment right to privacy and not have those rights taken away by the Patriot Act. I do not think that the government has a right to tell, its citizens what drugs they can and can not take. I do not think that police should have the right to deny its citizens of of our civil rights. All these things are things that Bernie Sanders has fought for his entire career. So why wouldn't you support Bernie over the other candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.