Horror-related pen names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
Hey friends,

I'm trying to come up with a pen name. I've decided to switch over to using one, since I'm going to be a teacher soon.
I've got the first name picked out but I don't know which surname to choose. I want something simple, memorable, and vaguely horror-themed. Was considering names like Graves, Grim, Blackwell, Grabmiller (that's a real surname and it means grave digger in German).

Anyone have any other ideas? There is an actress named Vanessa Redgrave and I love her last name, but it's too rare to steal.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd avoid a pseudonym that sounds horror-like in nature. Such names sound made up, even when they aren't. I always preferred Lynn Redgrave, Vanessa's sister, but while their names are fine for what they do, I don't think the name would have worked had they been widely know for horror.

Just pick an ordinary name that you like the sound of, Look at the names of the top two or three dozen horror writers. All have ordinary names, yet they do fine.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I went to Richard Graves Middle School, and I had the opportunity to meet the man himself. He used a common pet name for Richard that might be appropriate if you're writing erotic horror. ;)

It's hard to go for a last name without hearing the first, as the music has to be right with both of them, but I'll toss out a few suggestions.

DuMort, de la Fin, Slate, Gorman, Gorgon, Stone, Petrus.

I'll percolate and come back if any more float up. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just be careful. I've seen manuscripts rejected because of the name. I have to admit to doing the same myself, when the name was extreme. It pays to remember that when the slush builds op too much, whether paper or electronic, slush parties are very real, and the person who rejects your manuscript may be the janitor. Everyone looks for reasons to reject without taking much time, so don't give them a reason. Any reason.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Slush is a carry-over from the days before the internet, where submissions to an agent / editor would sit in a big pile, waiting for the addressee to read through -- the slush pile. Nowadays, it's the same idea, but it's all digital (for the most part).

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I would go with something exotic like Dante Grimm or Antonio Frost. Or something very strong like Quinn Blackwell or Max Graves :) I have many pen names and some of them are more exotic than others.

Dorian Graves

Deadly and Drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doriangraves.com
Just remember, before settling on a pen name, to always run it through a search engine or two (whole and in individual parts) to make sure you aren't accidentally grabbing a name too close to something else. When I was trying out pen names, I almost settled on E.L. Drake--but then I realized it sounded too close to E.L. James, author of the Fifty Shades series...granted, my name is close to Dorian Gray from the eponymous book, but I made that reference on purpose, mwahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.