The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: GenZ Publishing

GenZ Publishing

Forgive me if this has been posted here before (I couldn't find a thread on it), but I came across this publisher recently and thought it deserved to be vetted by AW members in case some people Google it, as I found it quite jarring based on their website:

http://genzpublishing.org/

Apparently this pub was founded by teen "literary prodigy" Morissa Schwartz, who calls herself "the voice of Generation Z" (putting these phrases in quotes to cite the website, not to mock her). Her resume is impressive, including a role on an MTV show, but it's curious to me that she founded a publishing company at such a young age. She claims she wants to help underrepresented voices (teens, I assume) get published.

One of the red flags on the website was this knock against "traditional publishing" that felt manipulative:

Then, there is the traditional publisher route, but it is nearly impossible to be published without being established and having an agent. Even with that, publishers receive thousands of manuscripts per week and only dozens are published. Those who are lucky enough to be published, lack creative control and are subject to the publishers’ every vision.
    Then there was this red flag:

GenZ™ is an innovative publisher for talented authors to have their work seen, recognized, and read by millions. Unlike most publishers who only publish established writers or those with a literary agent, we published based on the author’s talent and their book’s content. GenZ™ makes dreams come true.
    Apparently they've been trying to raise money via an Indiegogo campaign, which I found a bit baffling: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...f-publishing#/

So basically, I've found myself going down this rabbit hole that is the GenZ™ (yes, they hammer that trademark home on their site) Publishing website with a combination of fascination and bewilderment, and had to share it with you all.
    Last edited by pinkbowvintage; 03-19-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    My YA debut BURRO HILLS is coming from Diversion Books in 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - Revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 34k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

Mired in the miry mire. leifwright's Avatar
    We help our authors to shape their work while they retain creative control

This says everything you need to know.

A real publisher will not relinquish "creative control" to an author. It is their job to make sure things are as marketable as possible. They're putting up the money, which means they're in charge of what gets published.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    If you're talking about being edited as losing creative control ... it isn't. The editorial process is a partnership, and the author always has the final say.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Morissa had her first national article published in Discovery Girls Magazine at age 12
    According to their website, Discovery Girls is open to submissions from girls aged 8 to 12. Good to mention in a general bio, but it doesn't set her apart as a prodigy.

landed her first job as an adviser to Junior Scholastic Magazine at age 13
    Couldn't find more information without subscribing or creating an account.

And it doesn't appear their physical books are available at brick and mortar B&N stores; you can order them through B&N, however.

One thing I've learned through AW: if they claim to be the future of publishing, they're probably not since what they're doing has already been done to varying degrees of success.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 03-19-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Hmmm. A 90-page book (double-spaced?) for $16. Just published in January and has a rank of over 3 million.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Then, there is the traditional publisher route, but it is nearly impossible to be published without being established skilled and having an agent a well-written book. Even with that, publishers receive thousands of manuscripts per week and only dozens are published. Those who are lucky talented enough to be published, lack creative control and are subject to the publishers’ every vision get a reasonable advance, then get well edited, professional covers, wide distribution, publicity and marketing.
    Fixed that for her.

The GenZ contract is not good. Here is some actual wording:

The Author’s fee is as follows. The Author does not pay any money to the Publisher. Publisher will pay on behalf of the Author for the editing, copyrighting, proofreading, formatting, cover design, marketing, printing, publishing fees, and all aspects of creating the said work/manuscript. The fee is capped at $2,500 (Two thousand five hundred dollars). This fee is recouped by the Publisher from the Author’s royalties in paragraph 2.

And this:

On publication, author agrees to purchase a minimum of 20 paperback copies of their published book.

Vanity, thy name is GenZ.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing. The Grump's Avatar
    For Anyone's information:
    My two year old short stories have a higher ranking.
    My Book Blog: me muttering at Lessons from My Reading with fantasy book reviews from a writer's point of view.

They just added me to a list on twitter, as a result of my #PitMad entry, I'm guessing. Might be their way of trying to get people to know about them on the sly without actually liking tweets.

If it looks like spam, and smells like spam...

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)