Self Publishing Conundrum

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for those who have already dipped their toes in the world of ebook self publishing on Amazon and other venues.

I have novels in the works, none yet finished, but hopefully soon. Before I put those out when finished, I wanted to already have a presence on Amazon, so what I thought of doing was releasing one or more anthologized collections of my short stories. Here's the catch, while I tend to write in SFF I also write occasional mainstream style stories. I would like each/the anthology to be at least novella length, but the only way to achieve that at present is to use all my best stories in one volume. That mean's mixing Easter themed mainstream with "digitalized" humans in outer space science fiction, to Prachetesque fantasy satire. Those are not the same reader markets, and each responds to different cover designs and story types. If I keep each anthology/collection to genre, then each is going to struggle to reach 17,000 words, (average story length about 8000 to 9000 words.) This is not a problem in itself, but if I place each genre collection on Amazon, I'm going to have to charge at least 99 cents. There are whole series collections on sale for 99 cents. So in that light it doesn't seem like it's a fair price for the reader. They should get at least a novella length for for 99 cents, I think.

Yet I wonder if I hurt myself to bundle it all together with each genre in it's own section. It feels like I would be attempting a ham banana sandwich at a sushi convention.

So, should I publish each genre collection separately and just choke on my reluctance to charge 99 cents; bundle several mixed genre stories together, and hope readers are open to new and different things? Or something else? Thanks.

short addendum: I'm aware of the "solution" write more stories.

Last edited:

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Well, I can't help from a publishing perspective, but I can tell you this:
Even as an avid reader whose interests cross multiple genres, I am simply not going to purchase a mixed anthology by an unknown author. No matter how reasonably priced. I might, maybe, possibly, if the wind was blowing the right direction, buy a mixed anthology from a known author I really, really love, and whose work I had already read in more than one genre. Maybe. If the price was right. Possibly.

The next question is - why do you feel the need to have a presence prior to launching the novels?
I can understand that if you have a readership base, or plan to use the anthology to aggressively market yourself and build up a reader base prior to launching the novels. That makes sense if the novels are in the same genre as the anthology that you released. Less so if you release an anthology of SFF, then produce a novel that's historical romance.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mix genres within an anthology. Definitely not. And I don't think 99 cents is unreasonably high at all. People spend more than that on their morning coffee. There are certainly authors who offer entire series of novels for 99 cents total, but I can't imagine how that works as a business model.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I sell a 5000-word short story for 99 cents. It's worth it.

It's at about 4.5 stars, with 11 reviews. It's a good tie-in to my novel series, and stands well on its own. It helped soften up the market for my novel's arrival, and raise funds so I could afford good cover art. I'm not going to make a habit of releasing more short stories on their own, but it's done its job and more so I'll keep it up there.

Let go of shame, friend. I'd recommend grouping the stories in different collections by genre, then releasing them each for 99 cents. Use free days to start, get some downloads going there to tempt people in.

You can't get a good coffee for 99 cents anymore. There are people out there who pay over five bucks a cup, each day and every day. Don't balk at charging them 99 cents for something they can reread whenever they wish.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, a ham banana sandwich at a sushi convention.

Anyway, I think that if your main goal is to write novels and get them published and widely read, your time is far better spent focusing on finishing your novels and sending them around to agents.

An agent or publisher will consider the novel you send them. Building your own following first is not necessary and also not likely from short story collections (a book of stories by one author is called a "collection." "Anthology" usually means a book of stories by several authors). What a big publisher considers worthy of notice as far as an author having a following is far beyond what most self-published authors can get done on their own.

Collections of short stories by one unknown author don't tend to sell very well, so it's doubtful that will bring in many readers for your novels regardless of the price or mix of story genres in your collection/s.

It might help a bit to get some individual stories published in other publications, if those publications have much of a following and are in the same genre in your novel/s. Or, if you self-publish a novel, offer a short story for free as a way to try to bring in some readers. But, again, that's time and effort taken away from getting those novels done, and with dubious returns. I've heard the usual route to publication used to be get a few stories published, then work up to getting a novel published. But short stories used to be far more in demand than they are these days so that's no longer the typical route.

I think the reason to write and self-publish a collection of short stories would just be because you enjoy it, not with the expectation of getting much money or notice from it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TheBlueBandit

Registered
Reaction score
I can't claim to have seen great success in self-publishing, as I've only just begun on that journey myself, but I have to echo some of the advice given above based on my limited experience: cross-genre collections are a hard sell. I've been in a couple of indie anthologies that had a blend of sci-fi and fantasy stories, and I think the majority of our sales were to friends and family with little penetration beyond that. People have their likes and dislikes - some of them very broad in scope - but it seems like, in general, a reader is far more likely to take chance on a full-length work in a genre they typically enjoy than to do so on a seemingly random collection of short pieces.

On the matter of price, I agree with Parametric and ASeiple: $.99 is not at all an unreasonable price. How you value your work plays a part in how willing people are to take a chance on it. That price-point for a collection of like-themed short stories that are meant as a stepping-off point to your longer works seems quite reasonable to me. That said, I don't think a collection of shorts will really get you much exposure for your novels, especially as an unknown. Once you've built up an audience and made a bit of a name for yourself, it may have a lot more success. You'll have to consider if the extra work and organization you'll have to put in to get those stories into coherent collections will be worth the benefit. If the only goal is to get some readership, it might not be worth the time at this point, and pressing forward on your novels may be the best choice.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. My SFF stories do tie into the universe(s) developed in my longer works. My few mainstream stories are the outliers. I did not expect a few short stories from an unknown to make a big splash, but I did hope they might generate enough to pay for a website, and once I have other offerings, they could become sampler fare.

I also look at self publishing smaller works as a learning tool to make sure I know what I'm doing in terms of publication formatting and cover design. It's my toe in the water, start a mailing list, figure the world out in safe mode before I launch anything bigger.

Last edited:

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
You might consider publishing each story separately. You said they average at 8k-9k words, which isn't bad. Having them separate not only increases the number of times you're in the "new releases bin," but it gives you that many more chances to get formatting, covers, etc. down.

Then you can also offer them bundled, of course :) If five stories are up for .99 each, or you can get all five for just 2.99, that sounds like a pretty good deal!

Editing to say: Take that with a grain of research, though, because each genre is different (I'm coming from the world of 8k stories for 2.99 each!). I don't know if bundling is the norm in sci-fi, or if sci-fi anthologies do better than individual sci-fi shorts, so you'd want to look into that.

Last edited:

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Theres a thought. I'll have to think about that price point. My stories do range a bit in size and subject: Russian monks building a city on Mars, Brain damaged kids who get lost at church on Easter, A man who sells glimpses of a child's future in a wad of pricy chewing gum, A trash picker who cleans up lives, Mineralized human neurosystems encased in psychoactive polymer in space ships the size of soda cans swinging for the nearest star, nerdy kids who kill their snooty rivals in dance offs with mutant chickens, aging superheroes and super villains escaping the rest home for one last fling.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Your novels will most likely end up promoting your shorts, rather than your shorts promoting your novels. I also wouldn't expect that they'd earn enough to pay for a website. So if you'd rather do longer collections, I'd suggest waiting until you have enough stories for those longer collections. Go for happiness, because money is unlikely. (Noting here that romance and erotica does very well in shorts, but that advice doesn't carry across to everyone else. It's much rarer for someone to succeed with them outside of those genres.)

I have a novel-length SFF collection and did have a novelette (around 8000 words) published separately. The novelette was a flop as an idea. It had no sales long tail at all. So I'm taking my own advice and sticking to full collections. Not because the collection sells much better, but I like putting together collections more than publishing single shorts.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it is more important that your first work listed on Amazon have a high impact, than that you establish a "presence" as soon as possible.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is more important that your first work listed on Amazon have a high impact, than that you establish a "presence" as soon as possible.

I don't know... I mean, nothing will really be lost if rwhegwhood experiments with putting his stuff out there and nothing much happens. Worse case, they'll get experience with how to format things for Amazon.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What is lost is that if readers have a 'meh' response they pass over your future work. Amazon is increasingly developing methods for customers to 'follow' authors, which subscribes them to a new release mailing. The best way to get a followers is an impressive debut effort in the genre you expect to write in the most. Just my 2c, natch.

I do think it is important to set up an author central page, attach your blog feed or Twitter feed to it, seriously consider using kindle scout or kdp select or one of the other promotion options. But with self-pub Amazon the time around release is your best time to capture readers and I do think your debut title has extra value for getting on people's "auto buy" list and capturing them as followers so they automatically "discover" your future works.

Last edited:

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Several good points to consider. I do plan to go kdp select, don't know anything about scout. KDP Select is part of the reason I thought some shorts might work. Readers are not so "attached" to the price or length of a given work, or the celebrity of the author, but mostly by whether they enjoyed what they read. As an author I would be paid according to percent of pages read, and in a KDP environment, I'm guessing, perhaps wrongly, that this would be a steadier income stream than straight selling as an unknown.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I look at the KDP Select initiative as a book club. People who love books enough to pay $10 a month for a ticket to the all-you-can-read buffet are people I want reading my books. It gives them free exposure... and some of them might like the book well enough to buy it afterwards. So in essence, you can get paid twice for one book. Just, y'know, at book count discount rates for one set of payment. And most importantly, it's strangers reading your books. That's ALWAYS good.

So yeah, definitely hop on board that train while you can.

@Veinglory: I guess it comes down to the short-term versus the long-term. If you want to get big success in the short-term, your strategy is the best way to go about it. Hold everything back until you've got enough quality for a barrage of awesome.

But if you're after the long-term, a single "meh" response isn't going to kill you. True, it won't get as many followers and eyes as a barrage of awesome, but it's easier and it lets you ease into writing. Also, the reviews and attention (or lack thereof) can help you gauge how to adjust your writing and strategy.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
As an author I would be paid according to percent of pages read, and in a KDP environment, I'm guessing, perhaps wrongly, that this would be a steadier income stream than straight selling as an unknown.

Steady? Possibly, but most books fall off the 90-day new release cliff, and you have to market like hell to keep sales going.

Income? Not really, for shorts in KU. Consider that the per-page rate hovers around $0.004 at the moment.

I think your best shot is publishing a full-length collection of stories, but I admit that the SFF market could be different. I haven't studied it extensively.