Is The Writing For Content Sites Business Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanny

Banned
Reaction score
A quick scan of the thread dates in this section suggests that maybe the writing for content sites niche for writers has died. Is anybody still pursuing this option? Should I forget it, or dive in to becoming educated?

Basically, I'm retired, looking for a couple hundred a month in income, and at this point anyway, not really looking to build my own business with my own clients etc.

I'm starting from square zero. What's the next step?

Many thanks!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
A quick scan of the thread dates in this section suggests that maybe the writing for content sites niche for writers has died. Is anybody still pursuing this option? Should I forget it, or dive in to becoming educated?

Basically, I'm retired, looking for a couple hundred a month in income, and at this point anyway, not really looking to build my own business with my own clients etc.

I'm starting from square zero. What's the next step?

Many thanks!

You can still make money writing content, but the field is largely dominated by content mills, and they're often paying pennies or less a word.

If you have some clips you have a better chance of getting work. I'm still seeing ads for paid bloggers, but they're generally looking for people with clips/experience and knowledge / skills in a particular niche.

Tanny

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa, appreciate the input.

Given my situation, to simplify the question perhaps I should begin with the content mills. Can anyone point to an up to date source which lists and reviews the leading content mills?

For now my goal is just to get writing for any amount of income. Getting off square zero is a higher priority for now than the return. Once I burn out on the low pay of content mills then perhaps I'll be motivated to start climbing the ladder.

I don't want to bore members with too many of the usual newbie questions so please feel free to direct me to anywhere such questions are already addressed.

Thanks again!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I work on Textbroker and make 5 cents a word, which amounts to a decent amount per hour. There isn't always work, however.

I also freelance for some other places, but I'm trying to improve my skills and work up to higher-level stuff. To do that, you need a lot of published writing samples online, so my next big goal is to make a new blog with health-related articles (the niche I'd like to focus on).

If you haven't already started a blog, that's your first step. I wish I'd started blogging years ago. It would have helped both my fictional and my freelance career.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I'm a content writer and, through years of working my way up, make a decent hourly wage when I have my CW hat on. So, no, it isn't dead--just unfortunately hard to come by. Upworks is a good place to start.

TillysMom

Registered
Reaction score
I love Hire Writers. Once you get to "Expert" Rating by getting a certain amount of "five star" ratings from the clients, you get some very interesting articles from which to choose. I also do Textbroker and occasionally Blogmutt. The problem with Blogmutt is you have to write the blog first, and then hope to be chosen. Blogmutt clients can reject your work because they decide that they just don't need it right now.
With the other two sites, HW and TB, if you do a good job, you will get paid. I only average $75-$100 per week, but it buys the groceries! I also love to write, so why not get paid for doing something you love?
I used to adore Write for Cash aka Pagewise, and got my start writing content there. I was off a few years from the sites teaching full time; however, now retired, I again could use the extra cash so I do an article or two per day and it adds up.

TillysMom

Registered
Reaction score
Very true veinglory! I remember Write for Cash used to let you pitch an idea for an article, and then write it for $20-$40 bucks a pop. Only 600 words about something you cared about. Now, its $11 for 1000 words of so for "Expert" Writers. It's still work though, so I'm still at it. Demand Studios are no more, so there isn't that much out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.