• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

moving on to a new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethelabguy

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the first draft of a novel and moved on to a second. I'm having trouble getting out of the previous main character's head though and making my new characters into distinct people. Do you guys have this problem? do you just wait a while before you move on to another story or what?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if you're not mentally done with the previous novel enough to move on to the next? I don't mean that as an insult, but as an indication that you might have some unfinished business with the old one.

This happens to me, so I totally get it. Either I need to work on the earlier novel to move it along in the revisions, or to leave it alone for a while longer so my mind changes gears to the next one.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I'd move on to a next story whenever there's inspiration for it. So, yes, it happens that there is more than one person "talking" in my head ;) But when you think about it, people are not all radially different from one another either and if characters happen to be a bit samey, that doesn't trouble me either.

mikethelabguy

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I'd move on to a next story whenever there's inspiration for it. So, yes, it happens that there is more than one person "talking" in my head ;) But when you think about it, people are not all radially different from one another either and if characters happen to be a bit samey, that doesn't trouble me either.

I'm really just worried about not doing this story justice. It seems like it has some potential and I don't want to squander it by not having my head really in it.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Often I do something different in between working on projects to cleanse the mental palate. In the case of novels, like yours, I would take a little time and maybe read or watch TV in a different genre.

I do the same thing when I have to edit project A and write for project B in the same day. Giving my mind something very different to do between working on the two can help reset everything. Though, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.