Publishing photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I have just been informed that my article (along with key accompanying photographs) has been accepted by a great publication. Apparently my email system (Apple Mail) alters any photos I attach and brings the resolution down to 72 pixels per inch (ppi). In my original submission a 72 ppi was OK to get accepted, but now they want to print my photos and they need a higher resolution. I have two questions: 1) Would 300 ppi be considered a high enough resolution to make an average magazine happy? 2) What is the best way of getting high resolution photos to a publication? Given the fact that my email system always changes a 300 ppi photo to a 72 ppi, this becomes a problem. How do you get your high resolution photos to your publications? Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sending the photos as attachment to the e-mail, or in the body of the e-mail?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of e-mail changing the ppi. I suspect only the publication can answer whether 300 is high enough. You might try signing up for Gmail account, and sending the photos that way. I've had no problems at all with how Gmail handles photos.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of e-mail changing the ppi. I suspect only the publication can answer whether 300 is high enough. You might try signing up for Gmail account, and sending the photos that way. I've had no problems at all with how Gmail handles photos.

This. I suspect it's more than a case of just attaching an image file. I know, for instance, that if you print to PDF in Word, you can't get higher than 72 DPI. I had to run my image through a web page that offers the service in order to get my 300 DPI image into a 300 DPI PDF for Createspace. (I'm sure there are other ways, but I was impatient and angry.)

Examine your process. Are you embedding or attaching the image? Are you sending it as an image (PNG, JPG, etc) or as a PDF?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Are you using an email client that, by default, does you the favor of reducing the size of your images to save bandwidth? It would help to know what the process of getting the pics into email entails.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You can tell Mail.app not to change the dip/resolution, but still, better to use DropBox.

Really, truly. Just about ever publisher and mag I write for uses DropBox routinely.

A free account is sufficient.

Be sure that you insert placeholder text where the photographs go, using the names on the files themselves.

If you have uncompressed versions, say tiff or png, use those rather than .jpg.

Do not use giff format.

Status
Not open for further replies.