Not open for further replies.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Hi, my publisher is exhibiting at the LBF and has offered to comp me a ticket if I want to go.

I'm intending to take them up on it just for the experience, but I'd like to know what to expect as the website is a bit bewildering. I'm sure many of you in here have been before, anyone able to give me a potted "what there is to do" type of thing as I didn't think authors usually went to book fairs.

Many thanks!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Take this post with a pinch of salt, as I've never been to LBF. But LBF isn't really an event for authors, so I have to admit, I'm puzzled they're inviting you to go. Most industry pros there are too busy too really hang out and chat. It's Frankfurt Book Fair levels of hectic.

I'd go back to to your publisher and just tell them you're not entirely sure what you'd do there, and do they have anything in mind? Signings, book giveaways, some sort of event to get your book attention? If the team are willing to hang around with you it could be fun, a great way to learn about the industry and how it all works.

But if they're going to be busy and you'll be left on your own... that doesn't sound like fun to me. There are a lot of stories of authors going to industry events like BEA or Frankfurt and coming back disillusioned and worn out. It can be hard on a creative mind to deal with that much business thinking all at once, that many books. It's very very easy to get burned out or anxious, and there are very few other authors around to speak with.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my publisher is exhibiting at the LBF and has offered to comp me a ticket if I want to go.

I'm intending to take them up on it just for the experience, but I'd like to know what to expect as the website is a bit bewildering. I'm sure many of you in here have been before, anyone able to give me a potted "what there is to do" type of thing as I didn't think authors usually went to book fairs.

Many thanks!

It's a great place to learn how books are sold; really!

There's a lot more to it, both in terms of distribution, and in terms of what it takes to get a book ordered and placed on a shelf.

It's a great place to find out who publishes what, and what publishers and editors are looking for.

I'd go with an expectation of learning the business side a bit. You are likely to be at a booth part of the time, for your publisher.

But go with an attitude that it's about learning, rather than about your book. Just listening to what other attendees say can be educational.

And expect to come home with a stack of books that are given to you.

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sounds good to me - I'm definitely still trying to learn how the business side works (and who doesn't like free books!)

Thanks Lisa

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
As someone who goes to BEA almost every year, yes these events aren't really for authors, but I like it like that. It means you get to be a fly on a wall. The events are huge so you can spend a long time walking up and down the aisles. Usually there are also a lot of free books, and if you're patient you can wait in line to get them signed. I don't know the LBF specifically but I imagine there will also be some panels and stuff you can attend. Mostly, it's just neat. It's big and overwhelming and kind of other worldly and that alone is enjoyable.

Go in with few expectations (aside from crowds), and pretend you're an alien observing a new culture :) . I think you'll enjoy it!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
LOL! I'm going on the Thursday which is supposed to be the quietest day so hopefully it won't be *too* scary! :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
EMaree, we'll need to get you over here for something like NYComiCon or San Diego ComiCon. 125K of your closest friends all gathered together in one convention hall. *grin*

Actually, I've done both from a booth and had a blast - oh, it was work, don't get me wrong - but being an extrovert, I was so thriving on the motion and buzz going on around me. My table mate is an introvert though, and while he does conventions, they're not his "thing" and he basically just went home and collapsed after each session.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Oh god, Richard, I've heard stories of SDCC and Dragoncon from American buddies. I don't think I could handle that! You'd find me in a corner somewhere, hugging teabags and mumbling 'There's no place like home'.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
See, that's why you'd need to team up with an old pro who could show you the ropes. *grin*

Plus, having a table to hide behind when things get a bit overwhelming helps a lot. My daughter, who's highly introverted, helps me out at AwesomeCon in D.C., which had about 50K. She wanders for a bit, and then she comes to the table and puts her headphones in and draws until she's feeling up to dealing with people again.

It's hard for me to understand sometimes because I'm a hyper-extrovert and I absolutely thrive in situations like that. I do need my creature comforts these days, but when I was in my 30s/40s, my wife used to say when I went to cons, I didn't need food, I didn't need sleep, I just needed a couple of bottles of water and the con. Which was pretty true. I think I used to average 4.5 hours of sleep at DragonCon when I would be there - I usually didn't crawl into bed until 0300 or so every night and then was at my booth in Artist's Alley or preparing for a panel by 0900. Nowadays, I'm usually asleep by 0130 at a con.

I know, I'm slacking.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you guys have sold me on the scary pro book fairs with all this talk of free books. :)

Bring really good walking shoes, and an extra suitcase.

And seriously, ask questions. Ask people what they do. Ask how they learned to do it. Ask what they like about it. Ask what writers can do to make their job easier.

Ask what things mean; book marketing, sales, distribution and production all have specialized vocabulary. No one will think you're a noob; mostly, they'll be delighted you're interested.

Confidentially: A lot of writers treat everyone but their acquiring editor pretty poorly. Don't ever be that writer.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The London fair, and the Frankfurt fair are also particularly interesting because they're attended by more of the high-end production printers, and specialty printers and publishers, than ABE is. So that's interesting; you can find out how fine art production, not just of art books but of fancy foil printed covers and such, are done.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
At the LBF there are lots of booths for you to visit, and lots of people offering services. Most of the people I know who go there do so to sell rights to books they're involved with: there's a big agents' centre which is fenced off from the rest of the show. Agents book tables there and sit at their tables throughout the show, and have appointments pretty much every half hour with publishers interested in acquiring foreign and subsidiary rights to the books they work with. A few of my friends have told me they barely have time for toilet breaks, they have so many meetings through the show. And then it takes months to follow up and finalise the deals made.

Few people who are not acquiring or selling rights get to visit the agents' centre, but then it's not something you'd really want to look at: just people sitting at tables.

There are lots of stands you can visit, though; and there's a good programme of talks you can attend, but I think you have to book in advance for most of them.

If your publisher wants you to go, ask what they'd like you to do while you're there so you know why they're inviting you. They might need you on their stand for all or part of the time, for example.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in what agents do at LIBF, you could follow Carole Blake on Facebook and/or Twitter (where she's @caroleagent). She doesn't live-tweet as she's far too busy: but she does usually say when she's arrived at the fair, how many meetings she has on each day, what she's doing after the show, and so on. Also, she's a funny, interesting and generally lovely person.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh god, Richard, I've heard stories of SDCC and Dragoncon from American buddies. I don't think I could handle that! You'd find me in a corner somewhere, hugging teabags and mumbling 'There's no place like home'.

The thing to do for your first really big trade show, like your first really big convention, is have someone who you know well and like set up specific things with people you'd like to meet in person.

Small groups are good for this; breakfast or coffee work really well.

I say this as someone who's been to cons and such as an attendee, a booth worker, and a guest.

Set up a couple - three specific things before you even get there.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you guys have sold me on the scary pro book fairs with all this talk of free books. :)

I wouldn't get too excited. I didn't get a single book at the London Book Fair. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.