New Order's "Blue Monday" played with obsolete 1930's instruments

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A bit too faithful for me. Could have taken into a more darker direction of the Kabarett ilk.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got the idea that this was primarily, or at least partly, to show how the arcane instruments could make the song very recognizable. In that case, I would think this version needed to be pretty faithful - to show that it could be done.

But sure, once the platform's established, further ventures could be cool (though I'm not familiar with Kabarett; something for me to look into, as soon as my obsessive immersion in the Bowie catalogue is over).

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Me too! I remember the effect the original had when it came out here. It was everywhere!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i love you, poet. i love you very much.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Gotta ask, though - how exactly is an upright bass obsolete? Last I checked, people were still playing those all over the place. The synths New Order used in the original recording are more obsolete nowadays than that bass.

draosz

Registered
Reaction score
I think by "obsolete" they probably mean "analogue".

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fair point! I thought that, and considered that they either didn't have a suitably obscure bass-tone implement, or they just like double-bass. And they are picturesque as well as toneful.

A friend of mine asserted elsewhere that there's no such thing as an obsolete instrument - a point I love. Maybe the word 'obsolete' is the problem.

And that Baal EP is wonderful. Wonderful. Thank you for the tip!