Editor recommendations?

villain_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend an editor that they have worked with? I'm finding it very difficult to find one, even when looking at those who have a lot of experience or those who don't charge cheap.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

In the back of Jeff Herman's Guide, there's a list of editorial groups. These are all legit.

I've tried two. But both of these were for non-fiction as I needed help with the proposal. (And you won't find many beta readers here who are willing to tackle those.) So I'm not sure if they would be helpful for you.

If you are self-publishing fiction, by all means, get a good editor. If you're planning on going the traditional route, you can ask for beta readers here on AW. There's a section of the forum devoted to the topic.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Hey!

Before you pay for an editor, maybe check out a couple of books that can help you take care of some of the larger, easier to fix problems yourself.

I'd highly recommend:

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King.
The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile by Lukeman

There are dozens of other books out there on the subject to choose from as well, but these are the first ones that came to my mind.

Handling as much of the editing yourself is critical because it saves you money and allows your editor to focus on the more nuanced issues with your book.

Good Luck!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend an editor that they have worked with? I'm finding it very difficult to find one, even when looking at those who have a lot of experience or those who don't charge cheap.

See the FAQ on Publishing Services for some possible editors.

But I'd set aside the ms. for a month at least while you read books like Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into PrintRenni Browne and Dave King.

Max Evan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hello villain_fan.
There are specialized websites through which one can find a good editor. These sites have a system of reviews that you can read. Recommendation from one person - not the best way, in my opinion. I found an editor by myself. And it was not the best experience for me.

Fantasyart

Registered
Reaction score
Great advice in here. I found my editor over a year ago now, and for the life of me I can't remember how I found her lol good luck with obtaining one. There is many, many out there.