AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ad Networks? (facing the MetaFilter quandary)

Some things that are problematic; certain kinds of fund drives because of legal implications (50 states, and some countries).

Calling things a donation because the word means different things legally, and that's different in 50 states and some countries.

Swag will be forthcoming. Trying to time it with the upcoming server upgrade, which will take AW offline for a day or two, and will be announced in advance.

Swag is largely a fun thing; it likely won't make much money, but it does show that we appreciate our wonderful members and community.

Books are great in terms of things we've done as a community, but they're not as effective in terms of funds as people might like. There's also the thing that really, writers should be paid. Mac still hasn't made back what it cost to pay writers and the artists who illustrated Absolute Visions. Mind, it wasn't intended to be a fund raiser, and it really and truly was intended as a community project and learning experience.

We do use affiliate links, and I'm working on an FAQ about those.

And we also don't want to make people think they have to contribute monetarily. Some people can't and we understand that.

The thing about affiliate links is that you're buying something you'd buy anyway, we won't know who bought what, and it doesn't cost you extra to buy it from a link. So there's that.

My plan is to have swag available to purchase before we take the site offline for a day or so for the announced (will be announced) server upgrade.

That's my plan. I'm thinking mugs, t-shirts, USB drives, bags, for sure.

I'll help with that any way I can.
    Bob Mueller
    Books | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Author Instagram | Personal Instagram
    I am slowly building a Twitter List of AW members.

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    My plan is to have swag available to purchase before we take the site offline for a day or so for the announced (will be announced) server upgrade.

That's my plan. I'm thinking mugs, t-shirts, USB drives, bags, for sure.
    If you're doing the swag via a POD place with a lot of product options, I'd suggest buttons/badges, keychains and magnets. I find they're really popular for people who want to buy something, but don't have a lot to spend. The money does build up from those lower priced items.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Quote Originally Posted by Polenth View Post
    If you're doing the swag via a POD place with a lot of product options, I'd suggest buttons/badges, keychains and magnets. I find they're really popular for people who want to buy something, but don't have a lot to spend. The money does build up from those lower priced items.
    Yep. All good points, and yes, it's a POD site. I am not walking to the post office to ship stuff, no matter how much I love y'all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12