Have you ever left Easter Eggs in your writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
I used a part of a line from a Stepen Leacock story and a line from a famous Procul Harum song in my novel.

Might be too damn cute and an editor will probably kill them.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
Then she at first just ghostly turned a whiter shade of pale.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to offer a prize to the first reader to tweet at me with every single "Mad Max: Fury Road" reference I put into STAR WARS: BLOODLINE. Oh, there are plenty.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have a few "easter egg" inside jokes and shout-outs to people in my WIP. It's fun.

I named two of my protagonist's friends after people I know in real life. There was also a man in my dad's old neighborhood who fascinated me so much that I had to figure out how to base a character off of him. I'm waiting for my dad to read my story eventually and call me on it: "I know where you got that idea from..." ;)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I used to think I was this sort of clever person, and maybe I used to actually be, but now I'm happy if I can just finish the damn story.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
I'm waiting for my dad to read my story eventually and call me on it

I actually called my publisher in a panic on Minister of Justice, asking them to do a quick search and replace on the MC's father, whose name was a nickname people used to use for my dad.

Since the MC's father was a dick, I didn't want my dad reading it and calling me to gripe about it.

Turns out, it wasn't even an issue, because he never read the book.

HandsomeJohn

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, of course!

In the novel I have just finished there are barrels full of them. Whether it's someone's name jumbled up, or a description that someone I know might pick up, or a friend who uses a particular phrase.

I can't leave easter eggs between stand-alone books because I haven't written anything else before and this is going to be a series, but there will be references to various real world people, events and places throughout my work, as long as it doesn't break the story or stop its flow.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's great to see so many of you do. I did too, suppose I should have mentioned that. Now after reading this thread, I kinda want to go back and read some of my favorite authors and see if they did too and I just missed them. :)

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I've actually done this. Although the evil part of has always wanted to insert some traces of my romance characters into my horror/apocalyptic stories. Like finding the shell of their burnt-down home or something like that. I just don't want to anger the romance readers. ;)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I have. Both in-jokes or references that only family or friends would notice (especially on the based-on-a-true-story of my parents' 30-year search for love), but also nods to other characters or stories. For instance, naming a horse Donas for a horse in Outlander. And, since my one series so far is out for book one, and books two and three are prequels (and already written before the first was published) I put in plenty of references to people you would later find out more about.

For instance, book one (Legacy of Hunger) is about Valentia, searching for her grandmother's family. Book two is about her grandmother as a young girl, and her sisters. They are visited by Eamonn, their grandfather. Book three is about Eamonn's life as a young man.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love doing this, but all the readers of my stories tell me it's a bad idea and not to do it. In their view, anything that's not story, even if it's part of the story without the in-connection, needs to go.

LeifWright and flarue remind me of a time, quite by accident, I gave a character a name similar to someone my dad knew. He was all excited until this person turned out to be one of the story's unsavory types.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I love scattering bizarre little references just to see who gets them. Figure if they aren't too obvious and don't distract from the story, why not? The example coming to mind is one where a character thinks about someone he loves and decides that he'd love her "whether her name was Foxglove or Emily or Sadie Mae Glutz." Wanted to see if anyone would catch said reference, because that's the kind of person I am. :p

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know about easter eggs but I do like to smudge some of my real world references.

A character might eat a banana flavoured Aero, yellow chocolate inside, while watching a sequel to a movie that bombed. Purely for my own amusement of course.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Writing a novel is such a long, grinding, process that you have to find fun where you can.

My own works are full of inside jokes and private references ... which will remain inside and private.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I love doing this, but all the readers of my stories tell me it's a bad idea and not to do it. In their view, anything that's not story, even if it's part of the story without the in-connection, needs to go.

I'd agree that if your Easter Egg is obviously an Easter Egg--and not slipped invisibly into your story--it's probably too self-indulgent. Ideally your Easter Egg should fit into your story organically enough that someone who doesn't get the reference would never question why that detail/line/whatever is there.

In the case of BLOODLINE, I needed to name so many aliens and planets that using anagrams and fragments from MM:FR was as good a way of generating them as any.

vully5789

Registered
Reaction score
I love planting easter eggs in different stories. Sort of like a cinematic universe within my own writing. Nothing like an avengers level, but small things here and there.

Stephen King has a vast universe in his writing, which is what inspired me to do this

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It sprung into my awareness last night that naked mole rats might make a good AW easter egg.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I had a favorite dialogue exchange
I put in the first draft of all three of my published novels, which went something like:
"Well, that was a fruitless venture."
"Any more of these fruitless ventures and we'll both come down with Scurvy."

Not sure if it survived the final edits on any or all of them. I'd have to check. I retired it on my last three (unpublished) novels. Maybe I ought to toss it back into one of them for luck.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Yus!! I've inserted the last names of the playable characters from my favourite game, Final Fantasy VII, as locations throughout my second book (the only appropriate place for that). They live in The Burroughs in Gains... on Wallace St... taking the sky train at Kisaragi Station... going to a bar on Lockhart Ave (where 7th Heaven may be too much of a stretch who knows).

Also, as a throwback to my girl Audrey Hepburn, while my two MC's are in said bar, the male comes up and says
"Lux, you're drunk."
To which she responds, "True."

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com

LeifWright and flarue remind me of a time, quite by accident, I gave a character a name similar to someone my dad knew. He was all excited until this person turned out to be one of the story's unsavory types.

When I'm initially writing, I always name characters after the people I use as mental references to frame their characters. It's a simple matter of find-and-replace to avoid lawsuits after the manuscript is done.

- - - Updated - - -

It sprung into my awareness last night that naked mole rats might make a good AW easter egg.

I'm not hating this.

vully5789

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here read Stephen King? And anyone who does, are you doing that type of 'universe' where all your books take place in the same world?

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
I read Stephen King, and I'm not doing a shared universe per se.

Most of my books are set in the same geographical area, and they share fictional cities, but the crimes and villains of one story don't necessarily cross over to the others.

When he first put Randall Flagg in the Gunslinger series, I think I wrinkled my nose a bit. I liked Randall Flagg where he was at the end of The Stand - completely undefined. He could easily pop up anywhere else.

Then, when he had the Gunslinger characters actually appear in The Stand storyline, I almost quit reading. I get what he's doing there, and by God, he's a much better writer than me, but I don't have to like it.

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here read Stephen King? And anyone who does, are you doing that type of 'universe' where all your books take place in the same world?

You're not taking Easter eggs here so much as a continuity between stand alone books, yes? If so, then I'm doing that. I have magic and mythos in mine and the principles carry over.

Status
Not open for further replies.