• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can I build a cult around Steve Urkel, or do I need to change the names to protect the innocent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchBrandon

Registered
Reaction score
I want to put a cult built around Steve Urkel in the novel I'm working on, and there's a major scene with a giant robotic Urkel head in it. My question is, can I use the Steve Urkel character, as this is a work of fiction? Or do I need to change it to merely an Urkel-like character to avoid any potential copyright issues?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a very bad idea. You would probably violate all manner of trademark/copyright matters in doing so without permission.

You're intending to write fiction. So write fiction. Invent a character, Urkel-like if you wish, but don't use the name or anything remotely connected with the sitcom.

caw

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Who is Steve Urkel?

One of the main characters in a 90s sitcom, Family Matters. The annoying, socially awkward, but loveable next door neighbor who had a crush on the family's daughter. Sort of an archetype for the geek character.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
You really think there would be a copyright issue with this? I've seen published novels with pop culture references all over the place, Doctor Who to Star Wars to Batman. What's the difference?

Also, I think this idea is amazing and you should definitely do if it's possible

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
One of the main characters in a 90s sitcom, Family Matters. The annoying, socially awkward, but loveable next door neighbor who had a crush on the family's daughter. Sort of an archetype for the geek character.

Ah. Thank you!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You really think there would be a copyright issue with this? I've seen published novels with pop culture references all over the place, Doctor Who to Star Wars to Batman. What's the difference?

Also, I think this idea is amazing and you should definitely do if it's possible

There's a major difference between a reference ("You look like Harry Potter in those glasses.") and using a trademarked character or copyrighted material to build or exist in your own world.

There's also a difference between trademark and copyright. Like Snow White the original fairytale isn't under copyright protection currently. Snow White the Disney princess is trademarked up the wazoo, I'd wager, same as anything Disney gets its paws on.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Who is Steve Urkel?

Thanks; I didn't have a clue who he was either. I suppose I could've googled it, but if I were to read that scene (giant Urkel-head) in a book, it would fly way over my not-so-giant head. I personally don't like pop-culture references all that much because I usually don't get them.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would depend on how it was published and if the owner is the type to get mad. It doesn't seem like the type of thing most large publishers would like, but the webcomic Homestuck has Betty Crocker as a major villain and as far as I know it hasn't received a cease and desist notice yet.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Yep, I think there would be a huge copyright issue over it. Don't do it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You can't use a trademarked character as one of your own characters. This doesn't mean you can't refer to that character, or to a cult built around him. It's a fine line, and I wouldn't risk it the way you seem to be portraying it.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com

Personally, I don't see how there would be a copyright issue - seems like clear fair use to me. But I'm no lawyer.

But i LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea!

You can't use a trademarked character as one of your own characters. This doesn't mean you can't refer to that character, or to a cult built around him. It's a fine line, and I wouldn't risk it the way you seem to be portraying it.

I don't think the OP is planning to use Urkel as a character. I think he wants to reference a cult that's built up around the fictional character, and then have that cult build an idol of him.

I don't think that's using a trademarked character, I think that's fair use referencing a fictional character, not incorporating it.

But I repeat: I'm no lawyer. Talk to one.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Fair use through what?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Personally, I don't see how there would be a copyright issue - seems like clear fair use to me. But I'm no lawyer.
Seconded on both points.

Seems more like parody than copyright violation.

But i LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea!
I agree 100%. I wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic about the story of a cult built up around an original Urkel-like character. For me, it's Urkel or nothing.

But I repeat: I'm no lawyer. Talk to one.
This is the bottom line.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Seconded on both points.

Seems more like parody than copyright violation.

"Fair use" is a defense to be argued against charges of copyright violation. It isn't an automatic exclusion.

And, as has been noted, "trademark" is a completely different animal, operating under different statutes, for different reasons. I would be astounded, for instance, if the character Urkel wasn't protected by trademark, which means, basically, that you can't use that character as a character in a derivative work, without explicit permission of the trademark holders. And, yes, I know that fanfiction gets away with such things, but in general that's because fanfiction doesn't infringe much in monetary terms on trademarked work.

This is the bottom line.

Now you are correct.

caw

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Who is Steve Urkel?

OMG, at last, the mystery is solved! Now I finally know what the hell Homer Simpson was talking about in this clip, which has baffled me for the last 15 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.