• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Firefly Hill Press

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming you mean these folks - http://www.fireflyhillpress.com/

It looks like they're relatively new (less than a year old) and haven't put out any books. It also looks like they've focused on a semi-limited niche (that's good) as far as what they'd like to publish. They also discuss why an author should publish with them instead of self-publishing (that's not so good), which is indicative of somebody talking to authors instead of readers.

Overall, unless I'm missing something, the sample and availability of information is so small as to be inconclusive.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Ebook-only press. Doesn't appear to have actually published anything yet; publisher has no history in publishing. Website is geared to writers rather than readers.

ABOUT FIREFLY HILL PRESS

Once upon a time in June of 2011, graduate students pursing a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Writing Popular Fiction converged upon the tiny town of Greensburg, Pennsylvania at a small school called Seton Hill University. This new incoming class, hailing from all corners of the country, quickly bonded over their passion for writing and their undeniable quirkiness and became fast friends, and life-long writing mates. During this first residency, this class found a quaint spot on campus that they claimed as their own and they would visit it nightly, at dusk, to watch the fireflies.

Now, almost three and a half years later, this class has happily graduated and, best of all, remained friends and supporters of one another through every writing and publishing failure and success. It was due to this continuous support and love that Danielle Modafferi believed she could start her own publishing company.

I'd give them a couple of years before considering them to be a market.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
It's slightly annoying that they tell you their word count requirements are 'genre specific' and they don't just come out and say, for example, 'for romance we want between X and Y', or 'for fantasy between V and W'. All it takes is a few clear sentences, right? They must realise authors want to know upfront, since they address this in their FAQ section. So, you have to go to their FAQ page, which directs you to some Reader's Digest post about genre lengths. I didn't bother to read it. Maybe I'm feeling lazy, or maybe I like clear, concise info on submission pages.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, most everything on the site feels like placeholder material and that they may not actually be taking submissions (no evidence of publishing or acquiring anything).