The beginning of the end for the FLDS?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/07/us/flds-justice-department-warren-jeffs/index.html
The U.S. Justice Department dealt a double blow to FLDS leadership on Monday:

In Phoenix, a federal jury found that church leaders controlled the municipal governments of two cities that discriminated against nonbelievers.
And in Salt Lake City, a federal magistrate ordered Jeffs' brother, Lyle, the so-called bishop of the two towns, to remain behind bars as he awaits trial in an alleged food stamp swindle and money laundering scheme.
The article quotes someone as saying this is good news, but not the beginning of the end. Still, it seems to me that both Hildale and Colorado City are very close to falling out of FLDS control.

It's been a long time coming, imo. For point of reference, Jon Krakauer's excellent book--Under the Banner of Heaven--that exposed Colorado City came out in 2003.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
For point of reference, Jon Krakauer's excellent book--Under the Banner of Heaven--that exposed Colorado City came out in 2003.
Oh, that book made me so mad.

Like when I read "The Big Short," I had to keep putting the book down to walk away and regain my composure before my brain was ready to function like a human again. I just wanted to reach through the pages and strangle people.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
We'll probably still have years of court wrangling as they try to bring first amendment protections and being persecuted for their religious beliefs, etc, etc, etc blah blah blah...

So who's the next cult to rise to power? :D

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
We'll probably still have years of court wrangling as they try to bring first amendment protections and being persecuted for their religious beliefs, etc, etc, etc blah blah blah...

So who's the next cult to rise to power? :D

Think we're looking at it right now in the Republican race...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For point of reference, Jon Krakauer's excellent book--Under the Banner of Heaven--that exposed Colorado City came out in 2003.

Absolutely one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. Krakauer is a hell of a fine writer, and in this book he really cut to the evil heart of that cult. In doing so, he also pissed off the LDS establishment, out of necessity, even while bending over backward to treat them and Mormon history in general civilly. But he didn't pull any punches.

caw