Question about publishing contract from a newbie

Arlee

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

Last year, I won a book contest where the prize was to have my book published. I won't go into all the details here, but I ended up signing a contract that I now question the validity of for a number of reasons. Do any of the members of the forum have a suggestion as to a contract attorney I might send a copy of the contract to for some answers? My main question of validity stems from the fact that the contract is signed by both myself and the publisher but is not dated and many of the of the sections of the contract depend on that date.

Thank you.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Contact an attorney in your area. There should be a clause in the contract that states which territory or state laws govern its provisions. Any attorney should be able to dig in and see what's up.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Arlee :welcome:

Seconding Sheryl and Leif. A quick consult on a contract shouldn't cost too much from any lawyer, and it's worth whatever you do have to pay for it. Not having a dated contract is... very odd. I'm not a lawyer, so can't say more, but I get the feeling this is a case where you should contact a lawyer. Specifically a publishing attorney, if you can find one.

Be aware that contests with publication as the prize do not have a great track record in general--there are a few exceptions to this but usually those ones are pretty well known, and you'd know if you won one. Not to take away from your accomplishment in writing and submitting to, even winning, a contest. If you head over the General Publishing and Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Check sub-fora you'll find a lot of how-tos on evaluating publishers, agents, and contests. Contract stuff comes up a lot and while the nature of contracts is that we can't really tell you much about yours in particular, you'll gain a lot of valuable knowledge there just by osmosis (I have, anyway :)).

Arlee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I checked and there is not a thread that lists it.

Arlee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I will probably be reaching out to a lawyer as there are a few issues with my contract. It is a very long story, but I am not even certain that the copy that was emailed to me was the actual document I reviewed.

I have been unable to find anything about this particular publisher here at the forum, but I am aware of other authors who have had issues with them.

Arlee

Registered
Reaction score
No date in either place. The only date is on a page entitled "Work Information Sheet".

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it worth it to you to pay an attorney for the knowledge? If so, do it. If not, let it be. There are hundreds of (probably more) literary attorneys, if you're near a big city you can easily find one.

Jeff

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
For Brits and Brit ex-pats I really recommend the Society of Authors, who offer contract vetting as part of their membership services. Membership isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than a contract attorney, and they've agreed monthly direct debits for AW members in the past. The Authors Guild is the US equivalent with the same benefits and there's a Bewares thread with further info.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding EMaree's recommendation. The Society of Authors is wonderful: really worth joining if you can.

Arlee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am in the US and have written to the Author's Guild. In order to join, you must meet certain criteria. Still in the process of hearing if I meet that criteria.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I wish you had consulted an agent or attorney before signing. After you've already signed means it may well be too late to worry about it.