Anyone in the HWA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Because I have just been invited to join. And um. Well, firstly, it's awesome--I met our local chapter's president a while ago, first in a workshop about putting a submission package/query together, then later at a convention (while dressed as a Gothic vampire--she didn't seem put off by the outfit though), and put myself on the mailing list.

But I haven't actually sold anything yet, so I couldn't join as an "active" or "affiliate" member. I could join on one of the lower levels since I work in a library and keep a regular blog in which I talk about horror-related things, but I'm wondering if I can do that and then re-join at one of the working-writer levels later on? Or, I guess, how does that work? Is anyone here a member?

(I'm also thinking about self-publishing a few of my short stories, but that's another topic for another thread.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not, but I really should be. I've been a member of a dozen such things, but never this one, and for no good reason.

I would avoid self-publishing anything until well after you commercially publish your fiction. Putting things online that aren't very good can damage your career before it even gets started.

But I have yet to join any association, club, or you name it where the benefits didn't greatly exceed the cost. Even when you can't vote, being a member puts you in touch with wonderful people, and can guide your career down the right path without all the unnecessary detours too many writers go through because they don't know how to avoid them.

JSPembroke

Escaped Mental Patient
Registered
Reaction score
Website
flinthatchet.wordpress.com
I met some members last year at a convention, including one who I talked with at length and who encouraged me to join. As a sometime-horror-writer and full-time-horror-fan, I thought his suggestion was a good idea. I ended up putting my name on a sign-up sheet. He said I would get an email about joining.

After I had not heard anything for a while, I queried that member through his outlets and heard nothing in response. An email finally did come a month later, thanking me for my interest in HWA while at "X Convention," which was not the convention I attended. It read like a mass-mailed net cast to bring in members. The whole experience was a little off-putting. You know, they asked me about joining and once I put my name on the list, nobody I spoke to would answer anything I asked--save for that one email, which didn't even seem to know how I got in contact with them.

I am sure they provide a lot of benefits and it is great for networking. But the method of outreach and contact was enough of a turn off for me that I haven't tried again. Maybe later this year.

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I considered it a long time ago. I follow their Facebook page, and even interacted with the last president Rocky Wood on a few conversations. To be honest, I decided against it then because I couldn't see the benefits actually having that much weight.

Under the leadership of Lisa Morton, I have many more doubts about the organization's direction and ability; from her article on being a "real" writer, to the email to Samhain Publishing upon news they would be drawing down before ceasing operations.

To answer the OP's question though, I do believe once you join, you can advance to higher levels of membership as you reach the minimum guidelines required.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Sounds like I had a better experience with the Outreach thing than you did, JSPembroke, but since what I write isn't exclusively horror anyway, it might not benefit me all that much. I'm curious about the mentorship program, but perhaps not yet.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I considered it a long time ago. I follow their Facebook page, and even interacted with the last president Rocky Wood on a few conversations. To be honest, I decided against it then because I couldn't see the benefits actually having that much weight.

Under the leadership of Lisa Morton, I have many more doubts about the organization's direction and ability; from her article on being a "real" writer, to the email to Samhain Publishing upon news they would be drawing down before ceasing operations.

To answer the OP's question though, I do believe once you join, you can advance to higher levels of membership as you reach the minimum guidelines required.

Her article didn't bother me, other than being a bit clichéd. When are you a professional electrician? When are you a professional chef. When are you a professional auto mechanic? I see no reason at all to treat writing any differently than anything else. Once the word "professional" is tacked on, everyone knows what it means, whether they admit it or not.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There are many incredibly benefits to every such group I've been a part of, and I know several who are members of the HWA, and they say the same benefits are found there. The benefits primarily come from making friends, which is valuable in and of itself, to making contacts, which means finding markets and being offered deals you never would have been offered otherwise. There's also a wealth of how-to information that comes directly from the mouths of pro writers who are on the inside looking out. This is not the How-To Writing, kind of advice, but the what to write, where to sell it, how to please this editor and that agent, kind of thing that can spring a new career forward, or revive a stalled career.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^That is true--all the members I've encountered have been exceptionally groovy.

Status
Not open for further replies.