Basic Editor Questions

villain_fan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in having an editor go over my manuscript, or at least the first couple of chapters so I have a better chance of getting the attention of agents. It's hard finding one, however, as there are hundreds out there. Many are more costly than I can afford, but I'm finding some reasonable ones. But too reasonable perhaps? I was wondering if anyone had any advice for getting an editor and how to find a decent one at a reasonable price. Thanks.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
We can recommend some freelance editors, sure. And you do get what you pay for with an editor--experienced ones with a great background do charge good going rates as they should

However, I would only recommend an editor if you were self-publishing. There is no reason whatsoever, IMHO, to hire an editor before querying agents. Agent's don't expect perfection, but it should be readable.

AW has the Share Your Work section, which we often get people posting their opening chapter or two to get general help. And beta-readers can help you with the longer bits. I recommend doing this, and reading critiques and critiquing other works.

Also, the agent is going to read the entire work, not just the first few chapters before they decide to represent you. Getting the first few chapters professionally polished IMO feels like a facade.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I'll weigh in with the other side of the argument - if you use a developmental editor to pick up aspects that can be improved and learn to incorporate that (ie not using an editor to hone for you but to teach you to strengthen story and characterisation and point out weaknesses) they can be a great investment. I used them - in conjunction with betas and a writing group - and learned a lot, all of which I still apply.

I used Teresa Edgerton (who is now my publisher's editor and may not be taking on freelance work anymore) and JS Maryatt and would recommend both. Neither cost anywhere near the eye-watering amounts I see bandied around.

villain_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. I understand both points. I've had quite a few betas and with quite positive feedback. I think an agent will be forgiving towards imperfect writing, Kerosene, when they are already into the story, later on, more so than in the first few chapters. I just want best chance of an agent reading on, if you see what I mean.

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you. I've found some editors that offer their services for only a couple of hundred dollars (some even less), which seems a little too good to be true, but I suppose the important thing is to check their past work and see what has been published. But, I don't suppose there's anything wrong with asking for a sample or trying them out either. After all, an editor just starting off might still be capable of doing a good service.

Thanks again.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you have a contract, and the publisher provides an editor, what kind of editing do they do? Line editing? Developmental? How deeply will they delve into your MS?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've aquired a few books over the years and advise against paying anyone to edit your work prior to submission, because the publisher will edit your work once they've signed you, and there's no point paying for something that's going to be done again for free anyway.

I understand your reasoning for wanting those first few chapters to be tight and gorgeous before you submit: but if the rest of your ms isn't as gorgeous, then agents are likely to be disappointed and reject you when they realise that. And a good editor can't edit part of a ms: they need to work on the whole thing to see the plot holes, the inconsistencies, and the weaknesses it contains, in order to provide the advice you'll need to correct those problems.

You will be far better off learning how to do the revision yourself. It's hard, but it will serve you better in the long run. Use AW's Share Your Work section; use beta readers. If you're not satisfied with that then you could use an editorial agency, which will give you a few pages of editorial notes in return for a few hundred quid: I know people who offer these reports, and people who have paid for them, and know they work and are good.

And bear in mind that with editors, you tend to get what you pay for. So if you're working with an editor whose services come cheap, you're not likely to get the best-quality work. I've seen perfectly good books turned into turgid monsters by poor editors. Don't risk it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a proponent of learning to edit yourself and using betas to help you with the bigger problems of your novel, but there just happens to be a contest going on right now, where part of the process includes working with a freelance editor for free. I was disgruntled with some aspects of it last year, but many people had a good experience working with their editors and several got offers from agents in the end. Check out hashtag #p2p16 and see if it feels like a contest that will work for you.

(Anyone can feel free to PM me for specifics about my experience last year; I already see one bit of improvement this year, just from tweets about it)

Last edited:

villain_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, Sage, but after looking it up, I believe the deadline for submissions was yesterday.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When you have a contract, and the publisher provides an editor, what kind of editing do they do? Line editing? Developmental? How deeply will they delve into your MS?

They do whatever editing is needed. But you still have to do the writing, which is how it should be.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, Sage, but after looking it up, I believe the deadline for submissions was yesterday.

Should close tonight at midnight EST.

Some editors have already received their max number of submissions

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hiring an editor of any type is the worst possible thing a writer can do.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hiring an editor of any type is the worst possible thing a writer can do.

That depends on the writer and the book.

For instance: In my field, it is common for writers to hire and pay a technical editor to review the procedures in books intended for consumers about technology, ranging from computers and software to smart phones and tablets.

Big five publishers often suggest particular technical editors to work with a writer; sometimes the publisher hires and pays, and sometimes, the writer.

It's also not a bad idea to hire an professional, experienced editor for a book a writer intends to self-publish; it's part of a publisher's job to provide editing, as well as design, typesetting, distribution, marketing, and sales. Self-publishers often hire experts to provide specific services, like editing.

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sage!

What is a "hashtag #p2p16?

Thanks!
Winfred

I'm a proponent of learning to edit yourself and using betas to help you with the bigger problems of your novel, but there just happens to be a contest going on right now, where part of the process includes working with a freelance editor for free. I was disgruntled with some aspects of it last year, but many people had a good experience working with their editors and several got offers from agents in the end. Check out hashtag #p2p16 and see if it feels like a contest that will work for you.

(Anyone can feel free to PM me for specifics about my experience last year; I already see one bit of improvement this year, just from tweets about it)