How to Self Publish a Comic, or a good place to get prints of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Title kind of sums it up, but I will provide a little more info.

I've been working with an artist to turn a piece I wrote into a comic. She has just finished the first issue at 28 pages, and I'm curious now as to how I should go about getting it hard copy. Do I just take the digital images to a print shop and handle all of that myself? Are there tools online to self-publish/print comics? I've used create-space (amazon) for books before, but not sure how to go about this Comic business...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Disclaimer, I don't have any experience, just going by what I remembered other folks saying on comic message boards over the years, hopefully others who have trodden this path will chip in.

I was going to suggest Ka-Blam but I got an error when I visited their website... maybe it's just a one-off blip.

Litho Ninja looks spiffy also, plenty of info/advice there.

Other comic print sites show up when I search on "where to get a comic printed"

-Derek

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I've had good results with Ka-Blam. I also printed a couple copies with Lulu; the quality was fine, but at the time they were also more expensive. For longer books, around 100 pages, I used 360 Digital Books with good results, but they've changed ownership since I worked with them, so I can't attest to how good their new management is. A few folk in this thread (http://forums.tapastic.com/t/print-on-demand-options/621/5) mention having a positive experience with Litho Ninja, Print Ninja, and Greko Printing.

I've used local printers a few times when I just need a handful of sample books at the last minute but personally found it more expensive than the online services.

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
I've had good results with Ka-Blam. I also printed a couple copies with Lulu; the quality was fine, but at the time they were also more expensive. For longer books, around 100 pages, I used 360 Digital Books with good results, but they've changed ownership since I worked with them, so I can't attest to how good their new management is. A few folk in this thread (http://forums.tapastic.com/t/print-on-demand-options/621/5) mention having a positive experience with Litho Ninja, Print Ninja, and Greko Printing.

I've used local printers a few times when I just need a handful of sample books at the last minute but personally found it more expensive than the online services.

Thanks, I've tossed these links to my artist, to see what she thinks as well. I think we are looking to digitally publish, and then I personally am thinking LithoNinja is seeming promising, but I will have a look at some of the others as well. (Litho seems easy to use, and fairly inexpensive, roughly 4.50 a copy, with a free proof for orders of 25 or more)

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
I've priced them all out in a variety of page counts, bindings, etc. -- Ka-Blam is definitely the cheapest every time.

I can't seem to get Ka-Blam to open :(

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score

Super_Duper

Jedi Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninjamindcontrol.wordpress.com
You may want to email them for clarification (they are usually quick to reply), but how I have done it in the past is saved all my pages individually in a folder as hi-res TIFF files and named them CV1, CV2, PAGE_1, PAGE_2, and so on, and then send them a zip file.

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
You may want to email them for clarification (they are usually quick to reply), but how I have done it in the past is saved all my pages individually in a folder as hi-res TIFF files and named them CV1, CV2, PAGE_1, PAGE_2, and so on, and then send them a zip file.

Thx!!!!!

Lady Lost

The Whisper in the Dark
Registered
Reaction score
Are these sites to P.o.D. companies? I'm curious. I've been considering having my own comics printed on demand when I get them finished.

Lady Lost

The Whisper in the Dark
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh!! -^,..,^- Awesome! *makes note to self about Ka-blam* It's nice to find out so far in advance where to go for the best deals. Wish I could say the same when it comes to shopping for everything else... O,,o'

Status
Not open for further replies.