• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

A & M Publishing

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
An author friend on Facebook just posted a link to these people, with a warning for aurhors to avoid.
Here's what you'll find under the COST TO THE AUTHOR tab:
A&M Services: $7,995.00

Book Trailer Production: $1,000 - $1,500, paid directly to producer (A&M will work with author to develop a script and edit).

Publicity: Paid directly to either 2Dream Productions and/or Ascot Media.

I didn't bother looking further...

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
The company was founded by author Steve Alten:

The publishing industry has undergone major changes over the last twenty years. No one is more aware of that reality than author Steve Alten, who has endured the ups and downs of a rollercoaster career since his first novel, MEG was published by Bantam-Doubleday back in July of 1997. Eighteen years, fifteen novels, seven publishers, four NY Times best-sellers, four international best sellers, and three movie deals later, Steve shared a frustration felt by many authors who spend years writing a great book, only to see their work underachieve because of mediocre cover art and a lack of marketing. With MEG greenlit at Warner Bros. and studios and TV networks circling several of his other books, Steve put together a team that he felt could work together to put out the best product with the best cover art, backed by a marketingplan designed to help booksellers sell more books. At the same time, he wanted to create a venue where new authors could gain a foothold in the publishing world to achieve their own success. In August of 2015, A&M Publishing was born.
http://ampublishers.com/

I'll bet Mr Alten didn't gain a foothold in the publishing world by paying a vanity press almost $8000.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always amazed that there are people with 8k to spend on their books. I don't have 20 bucks.

Reactions: dickson

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always amazed that there are people with 8k to spend on their books. I don't have 20 bucks.

That's $7,995.00 + publicity...

I once checked what the going professional rates for editing etc are, and after looking for a few minutes I found the link, you'll get a lot done for the money they are asking, and that is from dedicated professionals.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score

You beat me to it. :)

Wendig does a very good breakdown. Interestingly the $7,995.00 doesn't include printing either.
Wendig uses an example from the website where you print 600 Hardcover books, pay for a book trailer, and one month of press releases for the price of $12,495.00.
If you then sell the 600 HCs, and 3,000 e-books you'll get "a small profit" (according to A & M). -Well you get $12,375.00 after A & M has taken their cut (yeah - they take a portion of the revenue,) according to my calculator. -Not sure I'd trust the accounting of someone who claims $-120.00 is a small profit...

My advice to authors when it comes to A & M is to put on some good running shoes.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oh, no no no, see, their author only sold 500 of the 600 HCs. They've still got 100 potential readers they can find to make their profit. Assuming the math is right, because those 500 books for $3400 would mean the author is selling those hardbacks for $6.80, they'd need to sell 18 more to break even, and the remaining 82 would give the lucky, wealthy fellow a grand profit of $557.

"Go with A&M, and you can sell 3500 copies of your book and still be in debt!" Good sales pitch.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
And Chuck has responded to his response, tearing apart all the inaccuracies in the comment. This post would be an excellent link to share with anyone who's curious about or considering going with vanity publishers.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
I find it telling that Steve states he paid his *agent* (i.e., not a freelance editor) $6k to edit his novel.

Blind leading the blind? :/

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I find it telling that Steve states he paid his *agent* (i.e., not a freelance editor) $6k to edit his novel.

Blind leading the blind? :/

Sounds like. I'll point out that folks who haven't researched literary agents at all, sometimes think of them in the same category as talent agents (who are generally paid fees upfront for their work). The first question my husband asked when I signed with my agent was "How much do you have to pay him?". He didn't believe me at first when I said that's not how good literary agents operate.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Mr. Alten is doing himself no favors with his responses. Some elements are weirdly incoherent. I don't know anybody who dreams of a $12K mortgage...?

JasonWrites84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have to say I am quite appalled by Steve Alten's responses in the comments section. I really enjoyed his MEG series, so for him to be so defensive in starting up his own vanity press is quite startling to me. I feel like he is preying on people, maybe writing about sharks has begun to wear off on him. I don't see how this company will take off, but it just might due to his name being attached which makes me kind of ill to be honest, that a NY Times best seller would be luring inexperienced authors into his clutches...as well as debt.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I've just watched that dreadful book trailer for Sharkman. Two questions spring to mind:

Is it usual for book trailers to give away 90% of the plot?

Where did the footage come from? Because I can't help wondering if there might be a bit of copyright infringement going on.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I've just watched that dreadful book trailer for Sharkman. Two questions spring to mind:

Is it usual for book trailers to give away 90% of the plot?

Where did the footage come from? Because I can't help wondering if there might be a bit of copyright infringement going on.

Someone mentioned in the comments on Wendig's post that it was footage from a National Geographic documentary, and that you can find it if you search for "megalodon" on YouTube. (The comment is at "March 2, 2016 at 12:54 PM".) I haven't verified that myself. (Limited monthly GB allowance.)