Comic Needs A Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
So the working rough title for the project was Nemesis. But for a variety of reasons that needs to change. The pitch:

Roderick Ulrich, former supervillain who failed at reforming, is broken out of prison by Bridgette Flowers. The mission? Solve the murder of their fallen former lover, Andrew Kindcaid, the superhero "Rubedo." Conspiracy of the highest order and family drama drives Rod and Bridgette, accompanied by their their accomplices, across the world in a Thelma and Louise-esque race to stay ahead of the law, angry superheroes and their own demons. All the while they struggle to find out what really happened to Andrew, and find that his murder may not have been as straight forward as it seemed to be.

The basic premise was the idea of a supervillain solving his superhero's murder when someone else beat him to the punch, though know one knew the depths of the relationship they had before the 'fall'; they were lovers during his on and off again attempts at reform, but kept it on the downlow for the obvious reasons.

Now it's grown from that seed idea into something larger (goddamn you projects for growing into epics!) but it needs a new title. Nemesis was good for a more contained, intimate idea - but this? Yeah, this is different from that idea. Complicate that with the fact that one of the characters who joined the cast since the inception is a literal Fury and we need to cut Nemesis as a title for yet another reason.

Thoughts on where I could go with this? I played with the idea of Gods and Monsters in Love, but that's pretty dopey. The story's got corporate greed, superheroes who are killing each other to protect their interests and engineering supervillains to make sure they stay in business, and Roderick, Bridgette and Andrew at the middle of it, so...

Yeah, I'm at a loss.

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just some ideas . . . (with no idea if any of these have been used by others for a comic):

Instigator
Vindicator
Vanquisher
Counterblow
Retribution or Retribution Group 3 (or something similar)
Impact Force
Villain's Mask
Impulse
Vengeance Force
Wrath

Maybe one of these might inspire some idea of your own.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few off the top of my head
Love and Death Wear Capes
Bloodstained Masks
Blood, Capes, and Dominos

I really like Blood, Capes & Dominoes, cause that has a nice crime noir feel.

Just some ideas . . . (with no idea if any of these have been used by others for a comic):

Instigator
Vindicator
Vanquisher
Counterblow
Retribution or Retribution Group 3 (or something similar)
Impact Force
Villain's Mask
Impulse
Vengeance Force
Wrath

Maybe one of these might inspire some idea of your own.

Wrath is nice and biblical, and Roderick has some Faith Issues (and we have a religiously themed villain and a religiously themed hero, sort of.) and because of his toxic, radioactive nature is generally compared to Pestilence or Conquest of the Four Horsemen.

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Heroes, Villians, and a Literal Damned Fury
Who Judges Gods?
Love Wears a Mask
Gods Can be Monsters Too

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Heroes, Villians, and a Literal Damned Fury
Who Judges Gods?
Love Wears a Mask
Gods Can be Monsters Too

I like the idea of Masks here too, as the Oscar Wilde idea has popped up with this piece before: Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of Masks here too, as the Oscar Wilde idea has popped up with this piece before: Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

:) we are all here just to help those imagination juices start to flow :).

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really wishing for a one-word-title (which surprises nobody). I tend toward the very short (Dollface, Without Shadow, etc.) That's not to say longer titles are a no go (God Hates Astronauts, We Stand On Guard) but I don't tend toward them personally.

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
Masked Masks
Persona
Ruse
Bloodied Veils
Divine Masks
Divine Lies

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Ruse was an old CrossGen comic that I used to love, but sadly went no where with the CrossGen imprint.

HRRGH it'll come ot me eventually. Maybe I just need new issues and some linking phrase/idea.

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
start playing word games, brainstorming is fun!

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, I brainstormed this for ages and then my buddy went "why not Re:Mission? It links in to several concepts:"

Remission from disease (lead character literally has super cancer.)
Remission of debts (paying off the things he owes, spiritually and financially)
Re: Mission - regarding the mission they're on.

Opened up the doors for all sorts of "RE:" starts for various stories and such, and ended up being the Re:Write series in my brain, which will cover Re:Mission and the various ideas for it's two sequal series (Re:Vision, Re:Search, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, I brainstormed this for ages and then my buddy went "why not Re:Mission? It links in to several concepts:"

Remission from disease (lead character literally has super cancer.)
Remission of debts (paying off the things he owes, spiritually and financially)
Re: Mission - regarding the mission they're on.

Opened up the doors for all sorts of "RE:" starts for various stories and such, and ended up being the Re:Write series in my brain, which will cover Re:Mission and the various ideas for it's two sequal series (Re:Vision, Re:Search, etc)

DrewSpence

Writer/Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I thinks....
1) You should name it yourself to make it wholly yours..(and your subconscious probably WON'T let you use a name suggested here- no matter how good it is. lol)
2) Ask for ideas and not examples to avoid #1
3) No one cares what your book is called. If you want to call it Nemesis, use a subtitle or prefix or suffix or use NEMESIS somewhere in the title and if YOU refer to it as Nemesis, fans/readers/writers/the media will also call it Nemesis for short.
4) use your real name as the prefix. Call it "Bob Smith's Nemesis" and if you make Bob Smith slightly smaller in the graphic, we will see NEMESIS as the primary focus and title.
5) As an artist, I am only (truly) satisfied when I get or do what I want or something better.. so do not settle for a 'good enough name' for your work/title.
6) Use a phrase with Nemesis for each story arc, year, production run, bundle of books. Breaking rule #1, for example
- your first bunch of books are called "Nemesis Rising" and then eventually "Nemesis Reborn" etc..to milk your franchise. lol

7) Use the dictionary site to find synonyms for "Nemesis" and similar words..who knows what pops out. That might lead to the source of your sub-title.
And other key words to use in your story.
*my 7 cents

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the RE: concept (if I'd found this thread earlier I would have voted for Maggie's Bloodstained Masks :))... and also, I LOVE your premise and would read the hell out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.