What Did They Mean By This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a story to a contest with Ember magazine. It was rejected, but shortlisted as one of the top ten finalists and received lots of praise. The editor said, "You retain all rights to the manuscript and are free to publish it elsewhere. We would be happy to help you promote it!"

I'm assuming the promotion bit means after it is accepted elsewhere, right? I've never heard of an editor making such an offer to a rejected piece, but I'd like to take advantage if it's legit. I'm trying to find a new home for the story and any help would be great.

CL Polk

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
...what?

did they print it or not? it sounds like they printed it. they didn't, right?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it would sway an editor to explain in a cover letter that the story was a runner-up in a micro-pub contest. The editors you send the story to will read it and like it or not like it, regardless. Then again, if you want to tell them, go ahead. It's certainly not a deal-breaker, either.

The statement probably means your name will be listed on its site as a runner-up in their contest or something like that. If so, and the story gets published elsewhere, you might let them know because it's also possible they'll list that information on their site as well. Hey, every little bit counts! :)

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Only God, and maybe the editor, has a clue. If you want to know, you'll have to ask one of them.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Taylor, congrats on your recent near wins. :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm leaving this here, in case anyone else reads the thread. The editor replied to my query and confirmed that if I get the story published elsewhere, that they would mention it on their website. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.