• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] One Teen Story / One Story, Inc.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about One Teen Story? They're a literary magazine for YA fiction. They publish 12 stories per year, 8 from emerging and established YA authors, 4 from teen writers. Apparently they pay $500 and 25 contributor copies. Sounds enticing. Has anyone ever submitted to them?

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
From the guidelines: "One Teen Story is offering $500 and 25 contributor copies for first North American serial rights. All rights will revert to the author upon publication."

That sounds more than fair to me, and they certainly seem reputable:

"One Teen Story is published by One Story, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that publishes One Story, the award-winning publication that features the best of today’s literary short fiction. One Story, Inc. is supported by individual contributors and by foundations and corporations including the National Endowment for the Arts, Amazon, and NYSCA."

This is the parent org here : http://www.one-story.com/index.php?page=about

Unless anyone knows anything I'm missing, this looks like a good pro market.

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
One Story and One Teen Story aren't just reputable but prestigious. As Becca posted above, they publish twelve volumes a year, one a month, and the entire publication is a single short story. (It looks more like a pamphlet than a magazine.) If I wrote short stories, I would love, love, love to have them published by One Story or One Teen Story.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Not that you need another echo, but One Story is one of the top markets for literary stories. I'd never heard of One Teen Story, but based on their association with One Story I have utmost faith in them. It's going to be a hard market to break into, but worth it, IMO.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
Working with Patrick Ryan at One Teen Story was one of the best experiences of my writing life. And as a person in my writer's group noted, they do more online promotion for a short story than some publishers do for novels.

Patrick indicates they will be folding the online presence of One Teen Story into the main One Story site soon to give it a higher profile.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a story to One Teen Story today, and my acknowledgment e-mail says the submission window closes in May 2012! So now I'm not sure what's going on, if they're still taking subs. The guidelines and portal state nothing about 2012. Has anybody submitted to them lately and rec'd the same e-mail?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the e-mail, plus a subscription offer. The latter doesn't bother me, as I planned to subscribe anyway as a b-day gift for my teenage daugher and to get a handle on what they are looking for:

Thank you for your submission to One Teen Story!
At One Teen Story, we are committed to reading each submission carefully. Our submission period ends on May 31, 2012. We aim to respond to each submitter within 12 weeks.
All contest entrants will hear back from us on August 1, 2012.
While you're waiting to hear from us, we'd like to give you a great offer on a mini-subscription, a 3-issue subscription for just $5.00. Your subscription will start with the prototype issue, so you can see exactly what One Teen Story will look like.
We do this because we want to introduce you to One Teen Story and to give you a small way to support the work we do for writers just like you.