Last Treblinka survivor dies, aged 93

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vor-of-nazi-death-camp-treblinka-dies-aged-93

Samuel Willenberg, the last survivor of Treblinka, the Nazi death camp where 875,000 people were killed, has died in Israel at the age of 93.

Willenberg was among a group of Jews who in 1943 set fire to the camp in occupied Poland and headed to the woods. Hundreds fled, but most were killed by Nazi troops in the surrounding minefields or captured by Polish villagers. Willenberg survived and went on to fight in the Polish resistance.

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
Incredible story. I had the privilege of speaking to an Auschwitz survivor a number of years ago. She was a smart, cheerful, incredibly irreverent woman. She passed about a year ago and I'll always have a twinge of regret that I was never able to stop by for a second conversation.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For those not familiar with Treblinka, it was one of the worst Nazi atrocities of the Holocaust, and that's damn saying a lot. It has never got the news exposure that Auschwitz did, or some of the other "camps" in eastern Europe, and that alone is a travesty.

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Many years ago when I was a young man in Salt Lake City, there was exactly one authentic Jewish delicatessen in the city.

It was run by Lu Dornbush, a Dutch holocaust survivor. He was a cheerful man who worked behind the counter, and in the summer when he wore a shirt with the sleeves rolled up you could see that chilling blue tattooed serial number on his forearm.

I'm guessing not a whole lot of people on this site have ever seen that, and the younger ones of course never will. God willing.

As a Jew, I can't begin to tell you the emotional impact of seeing that number tattooed into his flesh. "Never forget" is real to us older folks, but will soon become nothing more than a catchphrase of history. I suppose that's a good thing.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the tattoo as well (at Yad Vashem) and it was a chilling sight, indeed.

Though Treblinka survivors are all gone now, you can still hear the stories of Holocaust survivors in person, at Yad Vashem. I would recommend it highly for anyone visiting Jerusalem. It's not an opportunity that will be around much longer.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP to a true hero