RIP Harper Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that thread. Still haven't read Go Set A Watchmen, not so much because of rumors of elder abuse, but because if I do, I'd know exactly what happens to Scout, how her story ends. Might wind up being something similar to what I went through with Lois Lowry's The Giver. I loved, loved The Giver, and when I heard she'd written more books in the series, I was so excited and went out and read them, only to wind up a little disappointed. Not because the sequels were badly written books, but couldn't help but think the strength of the first book, rested on the ambiguous ending, where depending on the reader's mood, it could go either way. But now the sequels exist, revealing exactly what happened to the MC of The Giver, leaving me a little disappointed.

Thing is, at the same time, I'm also one of the few people who didn't hate the epilogue from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I kind of liked it, honestly. Was happy that Harry finally got the happy family life he'd always wanted, after so many rough years. Though I was a little disappointed that he didn't wind up with Luna, but still.

So like I said, I'm conflicted on whether or not to read Go Set a Watchman. Because once I do, I will know exactly what happened to Scout when she grew up and her adult life would no longer be a blank canvas upon which I could paint whatever possible future I want for her.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I just have to wonder one thing...

Do you think the release of "Go Set a Watchman" was the result of elder abuse?

No, but I do think most of those who jumped all over the book are guilty of elder abuse.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, right now (4:15 Pacific Time) WTVS Detroit PBS is doing a special on Harper Lee and 'To Kill a Mockingbird', in place of the scheduled 'Father Brown'. Readings by a range of people, historic photographs, local photographs of the setting, and interviews (from Truman Capote to local historians,, as well as novelist, critics and people from the civil rights movement). I assume other channels will have similar - I'll be checking my 'local' PBS station (Seattle).
Just saw the end, it's the 'American Masters' series, and seems to have been done around the time 'Go Set a Watchman' came out.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's worth watching the movie again, too. I do that every two or three years. About the best example I can think of, of a great film made from a great novel. Having seen it probably twenty times, maybe more, I am now always struck most by the performance of the actor who played Mayella Ewell. She was present only in that long courtroom scene, but she steals it for me, every time.

caw

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.