RIP Umberto Eco

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, another huge loss! Eco is another writer I loved.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The first time I decided to read a full-length book in Italian that was actually by an Italian author (I cut my teeth on Stephen King translations), I went to the bookstore and browsed the stacks. What did I, unfamiliar with the author and unaware that it was WAY beyond my fledgling skill level at that time, choose because the blurb on the back sounded kind of interesting?

Foucault's Pendulum.

Talk about a linguistic trial by fire. It took me a full six months to read, lol.

...good ol' Umberto Eco. RIP

eta. Huh. That's been long enough ago I don't remember very much about it. Time to re-read! See you guys in six months.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
He was a brilliant Medievalist and a scholar with an unusual talent for placing medieval studies in the middle of post modern critiques.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
eta. Huh. That's been long enough ago I don't remember very much about it. Time to re-read! See you guys in six months.

You've got major points; it took me six months to read it in English, because I kept losing track and having to re-read.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think Eco is going to be regarded as one of the really great and important novelists of recent years. The Name of the Rose is by any standard a masterwork. Some of his other things are challenging, but worthy of the challenge. Damn shame he didn't start writing fiction earlier in his career, but a great thing that he lived as long as he did, and was able to complete what he did complete.

caw

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my. RIP to a great voice. May you journey forth well.

I wish a rose breeder to take note and name a rose Umberto.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Another giant falls.
The last of the epic postmodernists.
He was the only public figure to not be baffled by the new Hard to a God film last year, instead seeing it's beauty and purpose instantly. I hoped he'd be around for at least another decade, to notice and point out what others don't.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An important writer to be sure. RIP