Another Day That Should Live in Infamy

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Ikeda explains.
On February 19, 1942 — seventy-four years ago today — Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066. With the stroke of his pen, the man who had earlier snubbed Jesse Owens after the Munich Olympics used his executive powers to order the imprisonment of over 100,000 persons of Japanese ancestry (as well as thousands of German and Italian ancestry) for the duration of World War II.

Most of the internees were natural-born American citizens, whose “crime” was having a parent or merely a grandparent with Japanese blood. It was an act of naked, aggressive racism that damaged people and families, including my own, for generations.
I've always thought this could never happen here again, but with Trump panting in the wings, I begin to doubt myself.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Well he's the Democratic God. He's kind of like "Saint Reagan," except Reagan never interned anyone based on their background.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
The night of the NH primaries, when my 9 yr old heard that Trump won, he immediately broke down in tears. He had this terrified look, and was convinced that it meant he was going to be sent back to Korea. (My son is adopted and was born in Seoul, for anyone who's not heard me talk about him before.) He understands the word immigrant, and that he is one (and so is his dad, but his dad comes from a different country than he did), and he'd heard enough Trump commercials on TV to internalize the idea that it meant someone was going to stick him on a plane and drop him off in downtown Seoul and he'd never see us or his dog and cats or any of his friends again. It was... not a fun night.

At least we could tell him truthfully that he's not going anywhere. It really kills me to think of some other parent out there trying to have the same conversation and know it's a real possibility.

There was no excuse for the internment, and it's just plain heartbreaking that we haven't learned from it.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Would you be capable of expanding on this and supporting it?

I don't know anyone who deifies FDR. I know lots of people who extol the good he did and condemn the bad. We know he was a human being, not a god or a saint.

I believe I can answer both of these posts at the same time. I was a bit loose with the term, "God." Many non-Republicans like to call Former President Reagan as Saint Reagan because when Republicans want to talk about the example of a role model to stand behind and lead, they choose him. When most Democrats (at least the ones I know as well as large groups like Occupy Democrat) choose a figure, they choose FDR.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
The night of the NH primaries, when my 9 yr old heard that Trump won, he immediately broke down in tears. He had this terrified look, and was convinced that it meant he was going to be sent back to Korea. (My son is adopted and was born in Seoul, for anyone who's not heard me talk about him before.) He understands the word immigrant, and that he is one (and so is his dad, but his dad comes from a different country than he did), and he'd heard enough Trump commercials on TV to internalize the idea that it meant someone was going to stick him on a plane and drop him off in downtown Seoul and he'd never see us or his dog and cats or any of his friends again. It was... not a fun night.

At least we could tell him truthfully that he's not going anywhere. It really kills me to think of some other parent out there trying to have the same conversation and know it's a real possibility.

There was no excuse for the internment, and it's just plain heartbreaking that we haven't learned from it.

It's terrible for your son to cry for those reasons and we shouldn't have a president that causes those feelings. No, I haven't heard you talk about your son but I doubt you grab a random child off a street for your avatar pic. ;)

But yeah, I don't think even if in a non-likely dystopian future, President Trump (a little piece of myself just died) caused that executive order, it wouldn't actually happen.

Ahhh. I thought you were referring to Trump and I got a bit of whiplash. :D

Thanks for clarifying.

No worries, my friend! :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I spent two years in Seoul, fifty years ago. I loved the Korean people, and, at that time, most of them loved us. I would gladly help you hide your son and keep him safe, if it came to that.

MM