Exclusive is up today, how do I go about contacting the agent?

ewizz31

Registered
Reaction score
I gave an agent a three week exclusive on my full ms. I did continue to query other agents but have only been rejected or haven't heard back. I didn't give/submit my full ms to anyone else.
Please don't give me any advice on exclusives and how they are bad as I'm not looking for that advice.
The three weeks is up today and I haven't heard from this agent. How should I go about getting in touch with them? Do I wait for them to contact me, or do I make the first move? If so, how long should I wait?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
If nobody else is waiting for the full, I'd give it another week then reply to their email asking when they think they'll finish the MS.

If anyone requests the MS in the meantime, I'd send it and use that as your excuse for a nudge.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Send something super simple.

"Dear Agent X,

I just wanted to send a quick note to remind you that Tuesday marked the end of the exclusivity period for TITLE. I look forward to any feedback you might have.

Sincerely,
Me"

I wouldn't badger the agent to commit to a reading deadline (and I think, for some agents, any inquiry into "when" can make them feel that way). Also, you're under no obligation to wait any longer. Just send the email and go about your querying business. Treat this agent as just another agent with the full, and perhaps, nudge at the customary three-month mark (or whatever it is now).

FWIW, I'm pretty sure when you grant an exclusive, you're not supposed to be sending out even queries... or at least that's what would make the most sense to me. You don't want to send a query on Monday, grant an exclusive on Tuesday, send another query on Wednesday, and then Wednesday night, make a second requesting agent cool her jets... you know? Sometimes, with exclusives, that's unavoidable, but minimize it where you can.

ewizz31

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!
I only sent out a few queries and of course only got rejections. I wasn't sure about that rule as I've read mixed answers on how to handle that. From my understanding, you can still query but can't send anyone else a full ms. Since most agents take so long to respond anyway, I went ahead and granted the exclusive.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!
I only sent out a few queries and of course only got rejections. I wasn't sure about that rule as I've read mixed answers on how to handle that. From my understanding, you can still query but can't send anyone else a full ms. Since most agents take so long to respond anyway, I went ahead and granted the exclusive.

Well, you dodged a bullet. But ideally, if an agent is excited to request your manuscript, you want to be able to send it as soon as possible. I just wouldn't shoot myself in the foot by taking the risk that no one would request right away. You just specify a short exclusivity period and hold your horses on querying. That way everything is above the board and more manageable. To each his or her own, though.

ETA: Oh, and I forgot to add "good luck!" I hope the agent wants to talk when you nudge!

Last edited:

fab_MR

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, if you can't query during an exclusive, does that also mean you cannot pitch on twitter?
I was asked for an exclusive and, although I sent my manuscript, I told the agency I already had a full with another agent but I wouldn't send it to anyone else. Bad timing, I guess, since there's a twitter pitching contest this week and another one next week. Does that mean I can't participate?

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I would say an exclusive's an exclusive and don't pitch. A pitch is equivalent to a query, IMO, as far as "exclusivity" goes. What might happen if the agent you gave the exclusive to sees your pitch? Not sure I'd want to risk it, but that's just me.