Another football (soccer) related killing...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/16/football/argentina-referee-shot-by-player/

Cesar Flores was officiating an amateur match in Cordoba, around 700 kilometers northwest of Buenos Aires, when he showed an unnamed player a red card. The incensed player took a gun from his bag and returned to the pitch, shooting the 48-year-old referee three times, in the neck, head and chest.

Less gruesome than the dismembering in Brazil a few years back, but still...

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Tempers do run hot...

I play in an amateur league here in Austin. You may recall that the legislature passed an open carry law starting this past January. The league is unable to prevent people bringing guns to the fields, but they've said that if someone is seen with a firearm, their game will be immediately called off.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
One of the guys at work refs in amateur leagues. Fortunately, in Canada there's less chance of anyone pulling out a gun, but still, when I hear this stuff, I worry about him. It only takes one idiot, trying to prove he's the Big Man, to go home and get a gun.
Guys are excited, things get heated, bad stuff happens. The ref from work has broken up fights among players, had insults hurled at him, and once had so many people sent off that he told them that if they didn't declare a truce and mean it, he was cancelling the game due to lack of players. (The game still ended up cancelled, because the truce did not hold.)
He hasn't had anyone get physical with him, 'cause he's a big guy, over 6 feet, and in good shape, but a bullet doesn't care.

Be careful out there, Mark, sometimes people forget it's only a game.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's not only about guns, it's about sports. A couple of years ago, during a local game of soccer, a ref was kicked to death, on the field, by four young, amateur players. They did not agree with one of his decisions and decided to pay him back. That's just one example, there are many more.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Tempers do run hot...

I play in an amateur league here in Austin. You may recall that the legislature passed an open carry law starting this past January. The league is unable to prevent people bringing guns to the fields, but they've said that if someone is seen with a firearm, their game will be immediately called off.

And now UT is allowing on-campus carry in classes. I would imagine that extends to the stadiums and games, too.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Tempers do run hot...

Whose job is it to tell the guy with the gun that the game is cancelled?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Whose job is it to tell the guy with the gun that the game is cancelled?

Here's the policy (AMSA = Austin Men's Soccer Association):

OPEN CARRY POLICY

1. [*=left]The open display of any firearm or weapon in the vicinity of any AMSA sanctioned competition, practice, meeting or other event, other than by a licensed law enforcement officer, shall be considered a dangerous condition such as would preclude the safety of participants, officials and spectators.
    [*=left]No AMSA member association shall permit the start or continuation of any AMSA sanctioned game, practice, meeting or event if a dangerous condition exists under paragraph (a) of this Rule.
    [*=left]Any designated official of a member association, or in the absence of such, the referee, shall be the sole judge of whether an open display is "in the vicinity" of the competition, practice, meeting or other event.
    [*=left]Nothing in this rule shall be construed as limiting the referee's authority to abandon or delay a match.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait, maybe you were being funny. ;)

In that case: not mine!