Choosing an Agent?

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After a few weeks of querying I've found myself with the happy dilemma of having to choose between offers of representation for my fantasy novel.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should choose the best fit for my book? Several specific questions:

- Should I prioritize prestige of an agency's client list over how much that agent shares my vision of the book?
- If an agent is relatively new but the agency itself is well-established, should I make my decision based on the agent's reputation or the agency's?
- What is a politest way to turn down an offer of representation?
- What are some questions I should ask in phone calls with agents to determine if they would work well with me?

For context, the novel is an adult high fantasy novel. I don't want to be public about which agencies are involved, but they are all pretty well-established SFF agencies.

This process has been very new and exciting but also confusing and stressful, and I would really really appreciate any pieces of advice, stories, or admonitions that anyone could share! Thank you so much!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
How much do you think the agent's vision of the book will be an issue? It's already written - has one of them suggested a major re-write? Barring that, I'd say as long as the agent is enthusiastic about your book and confident s/he can sell it, "vision" probably doesn't come into it. So I'd go for the agent with the better client list.

I think you want to look at a combination of the agent and the agency - if an agent is so new s/he has NO good sales, it's a bit of a gamble.

The offer can be turned down with a simple "I've really enjoyed talking with you and I appreciate your interest, but I've decided to go with another agency." Agents are professionals - they know it's nothing personal.

In terms of questions for the phone call - Where will they submit the book first and why, how they see the book fitting into the market, whether they've sold any similar books, whether they have any suggestions for changes before they submit it. How many clients do they have, how do they prefer to communicate, can they give you a few names of current clients you could contact for references. If you've got a second project in process, whether they have ideas about that.

Assuming you're looking at reputable agents from reputable agencies, though, I think you're mostly just looking for a vibe. Someone you want to work with, or not?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Something I have seen over years of watching others working with their agents and my personal experience: you really want an agent who communicates with you the way you wish to communicate. And you really want an agent to understand and appreciate your work.

Absolutely you want a well connected agent with a good agency who knows how to sell your work. That is a must. But those first two items, those are the issues over which I've seen the most agent/author breakups. I've seen authors with fantastic agents who never email them, who never answer their questions, refuse to give them submission lists. I've seen authors with agents who loved their first book but not the rest and it turned out that what they loved about the first book was not what the author loved about the first book. And so it turned out the agent could not represent the author because they had no idea what market the work belonged in etc.

So make sure you feel secure in those two things. Explain to the agent how you'd like to be communicated with, see if they agree. And really ask them what they like about your work and why.

And of course make sure the agency is a good one and they have a good reputation for selling work.

Them's my thoughts.

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is really great advice, guys- thank you. There is one agent who I definitely vibe with more than the others and I'm leaning heavily towards her.

Another question that comes to mind- are there any things in an author-agent contract that I should look out for or be wary of?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think mostly you should just make sure you understand all the terms of the contract.

One area of ambiguity may be how things work if the relationship is terminated. Your agent will keep getting her 15% of any deals she actually made for you, and my contract, as an example, also specifies that she gets 15% of any deals made within 60 days after the relationship is terminated if she was the one who initiated the negotiations. That sort of stuff should be spelled out.

Otherwise? Nothing comes to mind...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Just my $0.02: I would go for an experienced agent over a new one any day if you've got the choice. New agents are typically trying to build an author list and are really enthusiastic about it, but might not have the best background and won't be as prepared as an experienced one. They certainly are a viable option especially if they have an experienced agent backing them, but when you have the choice of an experienced agent with a good sales record and a new one, I would favor the experienced one. Less hassle, better chances for a better sale. That's unless you feel like you click better (that you feel through the upstart smiling facade) and willing to gamble on them.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto the experienced agent! My last *new* agent worked out of Stephen K|ng's agency. She was keen and enthusiastic, but just wasn't set up to manage a debut author.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
For the "new" agent, I would ask this question: "So, who did you apprentice with?" What often happens in established agencies is that a new agent with their own list used to be some other agent's secretary/clerk/assistant. They already know the editors and the editors know them. They made the calls to editors and wrote the emails to authors, set up meetings, did "first reads" on queries and subbed manuscripts, had to write reports to their agents about what they liked/didn't like about the ms., got instruction after the agent read the good ones about what they got right or wrong about the ms., based on the pubs the agency normally worked with (for example, agent assistant says, "Wow, this has a really interesting hero. I'll bet Penguin would love it! It's just like Xx book by Yy author." to which the agent says, "Then why would Penguin want it? They already publish Yy. What other publishers might want to grow a new Yy?")

My own agent grew up a number of agents, just like my editor grew a number of young editors. I'm still friendly with them, even though they eventually went on to other agencies. It's how the game works. They don't hire them off the street. Some have even been passed around in the agency to learn different genres before being set loose on their own. Bet on the agency if you like their list of authors. The baby agent has a whole team to fall back on for questions. They won't leave her adrift. :)

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is really great advice, guys- thank you. There is one agent who I definitely vibe with more than the others and I'm leaning heavily towards her.

This is the key for you then. A relationship with an agent has to work. I like agents to have a decent track record, or at least be at agencies with that track record, but I know agents I love and agents I would want to kill. My question is "Why do the agents I love not rep the kinds of books I write?" :)

Jeff

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I decided to trust my gut and just accepted an offer of representation this morning. She read my full in an absurdly short time and sounds like she will be an amazing advocate for it. Feeling excited!

Princess Amps

Writer Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Hope everything from now on goes smooth.

Reading this was nice. It had good advice. One can always fantasize about multiple agents fighting for them. 😝

TECarter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tecarter.com
I'm in the same situation right now (and still waiting on several fulls). It's both awesome to be in this situation and heartbreaking. Of the two agents I've talked to, they have both been enthusiastic, completely appreciated the book, understood exactly what I was going for and why it matters, and just showed real passion for the writing, story, characters, etc. But after trying for years and writing lots of bad manuscripts, I can't say it's a bad thing to be dealing with it.

Edit - I decided! I'm with Mandy Hubbard at ECLA now. It was a tough decision, because I was so enthusiastic about my offers, but I'm confident this is the right move.

Last edited:

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation right now (and still waiting on several fulls). It's both awesome to be in this situation and heartbreaking. Of the two agents I've talked to, they have both been enthusiastic, completely appreciated the book, understood exactly what I was going for and why it matters, and just showed real passion for the writing, story, characters, etc. But after trying for years and writing lots of bad manuscripts, I can't say it's a bad thing to be dealing with it.

Edit - I decided! I'm with Mandy Hubbard at ECLA now. It was a tough decision, because I was so enthusiastic about my offers, but I'm confident this is the right move.

Huge congratulations! I know what you mean; I felt so bad turning the other agents down, it was like breaking up with a boyfriend. Tough choice indeed. Everyone I spoke to was so obviously passionate about their work and about my manuscript, and it was a real privilege to be in that position.

o.Nixie.o

Registered
Reaction score
First - CONGRATS! That's amazing!

Second - go with your gut. <3

Last - Oh man! I can't wait to have this particular problem :D

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to say how very helpful it's been. It's also made me think a lot about the offers I've had so far. My gut is telling me to go with a new agent, for which I'd be her first author in the age category I've written in. BUT she used to be an editor at several Big Five houses, and she knows her stuff re negotiating contracts. She's part of an established agency and began working with them only a few months ago, and she has their full support. As for sales, she brokered her first deal a month after she began agenting (to a Big Five imprint). She has few clients at the moment, but has closed to queries due to the thousand or so she's received since the agency announced her as part of their team. So it all looks good. However, I am a wee bit wary of the 'new agent' status. I've still got 4 phone calls scheduled with the other offering agents, and I feel I need to give them a chance to talk to me. Gah! Then there's the people who haven't responded to my letter advising them I'd had an offer to still weigh in. This is so haaaaard.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the chain, but any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Bumping this thread to say how very helpful it's been. It's also made me think a lot about the offers I've had so far. My gut is telling me to go with a new agent, for which I'd be her first author in the age category I've written in. BUT she used to be an editor at several Big Five houses, and she knows her stuff re negotiating contracts. She's part of an established agency and began working with them only a few months ago, and she has their full support. As for sales, she brokered her first deal a month after she began agenting (to a Big Five imprint).

This all sounds really, really good for a new agent. Some questions:

* Does she have a senior agent to back her up?
* Have you two discussed the planned submission lists, so you can be confident she has strong contacts in the Big 5 publishers?
* Have you asked what her career plan is for the years ahead? She'll hopefully have a strong plan to build her list and build her Big 5 sales which should reassure you.
* Have you raised your concerns with her? She should have quick answers to all your worries.

I've still got 4 phone calls scheduled with the other offering agents, and I feel I need to give them a chance to talk to me.

Definitely still give them the chance to talk to you, as long as they're within the response deadline. You don't know who you'll click with until The Call, so give them all a chance, and be businesslike throughout: ask direct questions about the business plan, find out what edits they'll expect, find out where they envision your career going. Who are they planning on subbing to? What will they pitch your book as? How do they feel about your other WIP ideas?

Gah! Then there's the people who haven't responded to my letter advising them I'd had an offer to still weigh in. This is so haaaaard.

Yeah, don't let this stress you out too much. My deadline was over a week ago and I still haven't heard back from about 5 agents. It happens.

and omg yesssss it's HAAAAARRRD. I know it feels like such a ridiculous problem to have, but this stage is tough.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Emaree, my answers in bold:

This all sounds really, really good for a new agent. Some questions:

* Does she have a senior agent to back her up? YES.
* Have you two discussed the planned submission lists, so you can be confident she has strong contacts in the Big 5 publishers? YES, and she said she'll send me regular submission updates, her sub letter to editors (taken largely from my query, which she thought was brills) and their responses with feedback, so we can see if something isn't working with the ms.
* Have you asked what her career plan is for the years ahead? She'll hopefully have a strong plan to build her list and build her Big 5 sales which should reassure you. NO. I didn't think to ask, but she did talk about building my sales, career and brand as I write more books and they sell.
* Have you raised your concerns with her? She should have quick answers to all your worries. KIND OF. I ask how many clients she had, her communication style, her support network at the agency, and then I sort of waffled on a bit if I remember correctly. She said she doesn't want a massive number of clients bc she wants to dedicate quality time to her authors. Sounded good to me, but I did tell her I know she needs to earn a living, and as long as I don't get lost in the fog I'm absolutely fine with her taking on clients.

Definitely still give them the chance to talk to you, as long as they're within the response deadline. You don't know who you'll click with until The Call, so give them all a chance, and be businesslike throughout: ask direct questions about the business plan, find out what edits they'll expect, find out where they envision your career going. Who are they planning on subbing to? What will they pitch your book as? How do they feel about your other WIP ideas?

YES! All of this is so important. As I talk to more agents I'm getting better at asking the right questions. Some won't rep my adult stuff, some are only on a book-by-book basis. One said 'we'd see how we went with this first book'. (Struck off the list!)

Yeah, don't let this stress you out too much. My deadline was over a week ago and I still haven't heard back from about 5 agents. It happens.

and omg yesssss it's HAAAAARRRD. I know it feels like such a ridiculous problem to have, but this stage is tough.

I know! I spent such a long time feeling crap about my rejections for last book, wondering if I'd ever write anything again that people actually wanted to read. I'm getting more excited about the offers, but at the end of the day I'm going to have to say no to some perfectly lovely, brilliant people. I spoke to another agent today and he was great, but I didn't feel the 'click'. I still have until next Friday on my extended deadline, and several calls so... deep breaths... Time to narrow things down and get specific without sounding persnickety! Thanks, as ever, for your input! And hey, did I say CONGRATULATIONS on landing your agent fabuloso! You'll be in great hands with him for sure!

Last edited: