Frustrated with Wattpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherdschmitz

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
good lordy. it seems like nearly all of my posts at wattpad get yanked as soon as I post it... I feel like Dolores Umbridge is all over anything I try to post in the "clubs" which are there forums. I tried to to talk about freaking Firefly and compared it to my ongoing sci-fi I was using Watt as a platform for... got the response
"It is considered advertising as well as asking people to read your story, even without any links and it is against Wattpad guidelines."
It was a short lived two week experiment, but their commy moderators and their ultra-tight undies ruined it for me--it was the last straw after the glut of very poorly produced stuff on their site and the site's own demonstrated reckless disregard for intellectual property of others.
Grrr... I don't think their "community" is right for me.

R.K. Blackburn

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to the writing forums and have been trying to find a site that suits me. Ease of use, general liveliness, and rates of participation were the metrics I first used to rate a site, but then I began to notice that there was a high level of censorship in all of the sites that I visited so I added that metric to my list. It is astonishing to me that online writing groups are so amenable to censorship in general. Almost every thread that I have read is being dominated by the moderators who hold the power to ban over the heads of the "members". One little slip up and you could be gone is the message. Treat someone unfairly (Oh, poor writer who has been treated unfairly) and you are banned. Henry Miller is growing uncomfortable in his grave. Nabokov is considering the pain of a resurrection so that he can come back to set this straight. Dostoevsky has been dishonored. Maybe Kafka could explain to us how writers have somehow woken to find themselves transformed into book burners. One thread that I read recently (not on this site) was dominated by "writers" who thought that banning certain words and phrases from published works because they might be found offensive to someone, anyone, who happened to be reading said works was a good idea. I find myself perplexed by this phenomena. And how does anyone benefit from a critique that calls bad work good work because of forum rules? I know that the creative soul is a fragile one, but I believe that it is the fragility in the creative soul that limits an artist's ability to produce good works. Online forums can bring so many people together to participate in the creative process and it is a shame that that process is heavily moderated and that honest participation in it is sort of impossible. A room full of writers cannot be an orderly room.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Start your own site and run it however you like.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. In general, negative comments about other forums are discouraged here at AW.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hiya, guys - L.Y. is absolutely correct. You're welcome, of course, to take your commiseration over a shared experience to private conversation, but generally speaking, because running a forum is typically a time, money, and energy-consuming task, we do discourage using this space to talk smack about how we may think someone else is doin' it wrong on the Internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.