• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Starting At The End or The Beginning Of The End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Black

Registered
Reaction score
This is the reason that I haven't written much on my most beloved story.
I'm still questioning if I should really start as close to the end as possible, or if I should start at the beginning of the end and make it into a series that follows my MC's from their teens through their 30s.

If I start as close to the end as possible it'll start with my werewolves, two best friends, Rio and Isaac, in their early thirties as they are reunited after they've been through a ton of life changing events. Isaac comes back into Rio's life after he is done with the military and he enlists her help on a mission. The two of them being back around each other after so long brings back a lot of painful memories, and also causes their entire world to fall apart because of some emotionally based choices that put both of them in more danger than they could ever have imagined.

If I start in their teens, right before their first shift, this would let readers experience their lives and struggles up through their thirties. I feel like a lot of their past is important (and there are also scenes that I'm just madly in love with) and want the readers to experience as they happen instead of through flashbacks and dialogue. I just feel that they would be more powerful that way, but I could be wrong. A lot of their past involves heart break and tragedy, as well as cementing their strange friendship and the build up of a possible, twisted and toxic romance.

Doing it this way would allow for a series, or a really long ass novel. I wouldn't take them through every year of their lives mind you, It would jump around to cover the major points. For example, one book would cover Rio from sixteen up untill right after high school graduation. The next book would pick up a few years later with her in her eraly to mid-twenties and cover all of the major thhings during that point in her life. Then the third would pick up with them reuniting in their early thirties.

I get that readers will catch on (if I start with the reunion in their thirties) that the two of them have a long history and that there are possible romantic feelings between them. But i'm not sure if readers would want to cheer them on. i'm worried also that readers would think that Isaac is just a hardhearted bastard and that Rio is a reckless, mean bitch. (Which is true for both of them. They're really not nice people.) But I feel that if I start with them as teens these flaws that both of them have will be more easily accepted and understood and the characters will be loved by readers as much as my friend and I love them.

Which ever path I take I'll need to create an entirely new werewolf myth for them, more in depth than I have currently. These characters and this story are based on a story from a "Werewolf: The Apocalypse" game that a friend and I role play online and the last thing I want is to get my ass sued by White Wolf!

So if I start with them in their thirties the myth wouldn't have to be nearly as detailed as it would need to be if I start the story off at their first shift.

I've talked to writer friends about this before and the answers seem to be pretty equally divided. Some of them think I should do flashbacks, others think it would make for an awesome series and the series would have a better chance of being picked up as a show because of it.

I'm just still really unsure. I just know that I have to do this right and don't want to have any regrets about it.

If I need to supply more plot info to help out the discussion I can, just ask!

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
If your goal is to try to get this published as a novel, then my suggestion is to pick the part of their lives that would make the best stand alone story and use that to write the best stand alone novel you are capable of writing.

Then if someone buys the book, maybe you can write and sell them another one set in the same story universe.

But you don't even have a book yet. Pondering series and shows at this point is just distracting you from the mission at hand: Write the best stand alone novel that you can now.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, since you sound like you don't really have much of anything solid written yet, I'd say start at that first transformation and write on through... for the first draft.

Once it's out on paper (or in the word processor), maybe you'll have a better idea of where the heart of the story is, and you can trim things down around that. If you find yourself wanting to skim ahead while writing it all out, because it turns out you didn't have as much "life experiences growing up" story as you thought you did, that's another sign that'll point you in the right direction.

As they say, sometimes you have to finish a thing to know where to start. A first draft is how you "finish" it to find the starting point.

Good luck!

Whiskey_Black

Registered
Reaction score
In 2014 I won NaNo with not even half of the first draft written, starting at their 30's. I'm still working on it slowly but surely and still have a long way to go. It's just that, I know that story by heart and trying to change it (aside from the obvious myth stuff) feels wrong to me. We never addressed any flashbacks in game play, instead we did entirely separate things for playing out their backstory, usually on a whim. We'd have an idea and want to see how it played out to get more insight into their history. So I guess trying to shift the story line around to squeeze in backstory feels strained and out of place to me. And if it feels that way to me then wouldn't it feel the same way to readers?

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
--snip--
It's just that, I know that story by heart and trying to change it (aside from the obvious myth stuff) feels wrong to me.
--snip--

The story in your head and how you present it to the reader can be two different things.

--snip--
So I guess trying to shift the story line around to squeeze in backstory feels strained and out of place to me. And if it feels that way to me then wouldn't it feel the same way to readers?
--snip--

The reader won't know the story by heart, so maybe not. But if it feels weird to you to do that, you probably won't write it that way.

It almost sounds like you are too close / emotionally involved with the story to make decisions about it. Maybe you need some distance?

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
Here's something you could try. Writing on walls isn't practical in regards to the resale value of a house, and that dry erase board overlay is both expensive and hard to install. Go into your Christmas supplies and find the big wrapping paper, the stuff that has the pale blue inked grid on the back side for cutting.

Cut a slice or three approximately the length of your arms stretched over your head to the floor boards. Now, tack it up, patterned side to the wall, leaving you all that wonderful lined space for organization. Outline your books, arrange POVs, whatever. Sometimes just the act of writing it all down grounds you and tells you where you need to go. I find it really helpful for timelines with multiple POV. A way to check that each thread is indeed staying where they're supposed to time wise, the giant graph paper making this easy to lay out.

When an idea is too big to be contained in a word.doc or on a page or two of your mud book (I use composition books), then what the hell is stopping you from going bigger?

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
In 2014 We never addressed any flashbacks in game play, instead we did entirely separate things for playing out their backstory, usually on a whim. We'd have an idea and want to see how it played out to get more insight into their history. So I guess trying to shift the story line around to squeeze in backstory feels strained and out of place to me. And if it feels that way to me then wouldn't it feel the same way to readers?

You will know when it feels right, but you won't know unless you try different things. Right now you are trying to make this decision with your mind, and I could be wrong, but I don't think it will work that way for you. I suggest that you just play with your story in the same way that you played with the story while you were role-playing with your friend. Be a little more light-hearted and not worry so much where it goes. You can worry about that stuff when you do the second, third and fourth draft.

There is no 'right' way to write your story. The same 'story' can be told in millions of ways. Just look at classics like Cinderella or Peter Pan.

They say there are two kinds of writers: those who have a plan and outline and who follow their plans and outlines, and those who write more with their heart. To me it sounds like you write with your heart. Just by the words you use, like how it 'feels' and how it's your 'beloved story.'

So I would say to get out of your head, and just start writing. If it doesn't feel 'right' then try something else!

In my personal experience, mapping and planning has never worked. I feel like a hamster on a hamster wheel when i do that stuff: running and running but getting no where. It's very disheartening. I start with an image. A scene, perhaps, or a piece of dialogue. For me, I need to write through it. I might write 20,000 words and realise it's not the right path. Oh well. Yes, i could have mapped that out or planned it, but I wouldn't have known if it was right until I got there.

I hope that helps.

You could also look up Eric Maisel, who has written many books about creative anxiety. In my opinion, your problem falls into this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.