Hamilton, anyone?

HomewardBound

Everything's Shiny.
Registered
Reaction score
My SO introduced me to Hamilton about a month ago, and we're both obsessed. The soundtrack is on when we have any road trips in the car, and we're still occasionally texting each other lyrics during the work day. Neither of us is especially hip-hop or musical types, but the fusion of the two types in Hamilton is some kind of gestalt that exceeds the bounds of each.

Every time I listen I keep finding new depths to plumb and undiscovered nuances that heighten the genius. Lines reused among different songs or handed off to new actors, putting the same musical phrase underneath new lyrics to tie back to the original usage. All of these are used all over the place, and they're subtle enough that I sometimes haven't noticed until the 2nd or 5th or 10th or 30th listen-through.

We're headed to NYC this summer, and we're hoping to hit the Hamilton lotto, but we dream in the dark for the most part. Realistically, we'll be lucky to get tickets to the traveling company when/if they stop in our city.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm so glad this thread popped up.

I was in NYC a couple weeks ago for another event (to meet CS Pacat) and for the hell of it, I put in for the lottery...and won. I still don't know how that happened.

Seeing it was phenomenal. I'm one of the crazy people who put off listening to the score before I saw the show, so that was the first time I'd experienced the whole thing. Now I can't get it out of my head.

It certainly deserves every accolade it's gotten.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
amergina, I'm incredibly jealous! I spent a shit-ton of money to get tickets. A friend of mine showed me some pics from her friend who camped out in the cancellation line and not only got great tickets but also got pictures with several of the cast members. If I lived in New York, you better believe I'd do something like that! But I can't take time off and go up there on the off chance I might be able to get tickets. Plus, at this point, I already have tickets, so yeah, moot point! [I'm planning to get tickets for when it comes to DC, too.]

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It was astounding. I was meeting a friend also traveling to NYC and we both put in for the lottery. 4pm rolled around and she's all "I didn't win" and I'm staring at this:

https://twitter.com/amergina/status/731578387102367744

I texted her in all caps and she thought I was joking.

But no:

https://twitter.com/amergina/status/731688082131550208

I'm sure it'll come to Pittsburgh at some point, and I'll get tickets then. :) I want to see it from father away, actually, so I can see the choreography better. Being that close was astounding because the actors LOOKED at you, but you could really only focus on one person at a time.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
If anyone's interested, I found this blog post about Hamilton to be both beautifully written and incredibly heartwarming.

The writer is a sports journalist who took his teenage daughter to see it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
It was astounding. I was meeting a friend also traveling to NYC and we both put in for the lottery. 4pm rolled around and she's all "I didn't win" and I'm staring at this:

https://twitter.com/amergina/status/731578387102367744

I texted her in all caps and she thought I was joking.

But no:

https://twitter.com/amergina/status/731688082131550208

I'm sure it'll come to Pittsburgh at some point, and I'll get tickets then. :) I want to see it from father away, actually, so I can see the choreography better. Being that close was astounding because the actors LOOKED at you, but you could really only focus on one person at a time.

Oh my gosh, THOSE SEATS. Sounds like an amazing experience!

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, THOSE SEATS. Sounds like an amazing experience!

Oh my God!! Amazing!

We have tickets to see it in San Francisco in May. Got lucky to get face value balcony since face value orchestra is $500-$850 �� If I lived near a show I would be trying for the lotto every day, but we are flying in to see it. I was a late fan, but once I listened through I was hooked. I got to where I could perform My Shot karaoke without looking at the lyrics, phew!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ex-husband has been in NY for like 30 hours and he already has tix to Hamilton. I'm just saying life sucks.

Also - no way it would be as good as In The Heights. Which was - insanely good.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
hey mccardey... we keep meeting :)

Did ex-hubby go in the lottery, or know the right someone? Lucky b*!#!@*.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hello, cried, reposted on facebook.

Wonderful article, isn't it?

Did ex-hubby go in the lottery, or know the right someone? Lucky b*!#!@*.

Whenever we're in NYC and there's a popular/sold out show we want to see, we go directly to the theatre itself to ask if they have any returned/cancelled tickets. We've gotten seats every time without fail (we got in to see Book of Mormon that way when it had just won all the Tonys and was sold out for the next two years or so). :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but I'll have to hunt up In The Heights now.
Because of reasons I've spent most of my life listening to various forms of musical theatre. And seriously, the best ever was Lin-Manuel in 'In The Heights" in preview. I'm no judge, but that hit all the spots for me. :)

ETA: Second best is Sondheim's Merrily.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to Hamilton every day on my way to work.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever we're in NYC and there's a popular/sold out show we want to see, we go directly to the theatre itself to ask if they have any returned/cancelled tickets. We've gotten seats every time without fail (we got in to see Book of Mormon that way when it had just won all the Tonys and was sold out for the next two years or so). :)
That there is how they got the tix but lets please not suggest that it's ever been done before....

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Srsly cool :cool:

Now I feel like David Caruso.

Well, we won't be going back for 3.5 years at the very minimum. :(

Actually, a young guy I work with left for his very first overseas trip a couple of days ago. He's gone to the West Coast (LA, Vegas, San Fran etc). He sent an email when he landed to say he had two entire rows to himself on the flight over. Not sure whether he just got incredibly lucky, or whether there is no one heading to the States at the moment for holidays.

/derail

Last edited: