Original intro title

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a professional non-fiction writer/editor trying to break into the fiction world. One novel (contemporary romance) is in query limbo, and I'm 45k into my second. I have 60k of another one shoved in a drawer while I figure out how to make the heroine likeable when the plot requires her to be pretty passive. Might have to shelve that one.

Looking forward to learning my way around the forum!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have 60k of another one shoved in a drawer while I figure out how to make the heroine likeable when the plot requires her to be pretty passive. Might have to shelve that one.

Nah. In my book, you're doing quite well. With so many super strong, multi-skilled, I'm-so-much-better-than-you heroes of both gender flying about, it's really nice to read of a hometown boy or girl next door who gets the job done in quiet ways.

In my mysteries, the challenge of what some consider to be handicaps helps keep them humble. :greenie

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Nah. In my book, you're doing quite well. With so many super strong, multi-skilled, I'm-so-much-better-than-you heroes of both gender flying about, it's really nice to read of a hometown boy or girl next door who gets the job done in quiet ways.

In my mysteries, the challenge of what some consider to be handicaps helps keep them humble. :greenie

Agreed! Flawed characters are so much more interesting.

With this heroine, it's not so much that she isn't Buffy, but that she's in an abusive relationship and not doing anything about it, even when there's no external factor stopping her (and in fact a big external factor trying to help her). Now I know that's realistic, since abuse messes with a victim's head in ways that keeps them trapped even without locked doors, but readers are pretty unforgiving of protagonists who don't try to help themselves. Even in real life, so many people are like "well she didn't leave the first time he hit her, so..."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
With this heroine, it's not so much that she isn't Buffy, but that she's in an abusive relationship and not doing anything about it, even when there's no external factor stopping her (and in fact a big external factor trying to help her). Now I know that's realistic, since abuse messes with a victim's head in ways that keeps them trapped even without locked doors, but readers are pretty unforgiving of protagonists who don't try to help themselves. Even in real life, so many people are like "well she didn't leave the first time he hit her, so..."

Welcome. I think most writers here have a work or two shelved, so no worries, you're in good company.

As for making your own character less passive, you can do it incrementally throughout the book. Readers don't mind passive characters who don't help themselves out of a bad situation, as long as the character grows into a stronger person as the book moves along. How and why he or she becomes stronger, possibly even strong enough to finally leave the abuser, is up to writer, and I thought I had seen it done every which way until (spoiler alert, highlight to see missing text) Gone Girl came out.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Earthling.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. :) Loving the forums so far.

Whiskey_Black

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm a newbie here too. Yay!

Don't sweat it, give your MC some time and you'll be able to figure out a reason for her as to why she's being so passive. Why can't it be something as simple as mental chains and fear? That's about as damned realistic as you can get.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sagml. Nice almost-pun!

Welcome! I'm a newbie here too. Yay!

Don't sweat it, give your MC some time and you'll be able to figure out a reason for her as to why she's being so passive. Why can't it be something as simple as mental chains and fear? That's about as damned realistic as you can get.

The heroine of my first novel put up with a different kind of abuse (bullying at work) because of mental chains and fear - it ruined her confidence and had her convinced she couldn't hold down a job anywhere else. Beta readers HATED her for it, and as soon as I changed it to an external obstacle (she couldn't find a new job because bullying boss always gave her a terrible reference), beta readers had no issue with her.

I'm very sure it can be done (see Gone Girl, right?) but I'm probably not able to pull it off yet as an author. I'll give it some time as you say, and perhaps in the future I can ressurect that manuscript. :D