Bleeding Cool article on starting an indie comic

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, if you're lucky enough to be able to draw AND write, Bleeding Cool has an article for you to read!

Definitely interesting to show all the back end work, the smaller projects that people had to put in. I mean, who knew about Phonogram until after Gillen + McKelvie got major press on Young Avengers & The Wicked and the Divine? Diehard early fans (which they deserve to have!) But that's the little indie book they did, before they did other work. Hell, I followed them through YA and WicDiv, and I didn't know about Phonogram until a couple of years ago.

Now the third installment of the series, Immaterial Girl, has been put out by Image and the other books were also collected and printed and you can see how much they've grown. They're definitely showing that they're a freshman/sophmore effort, but the seeds of who these two men became are there in those pages. The early Phonogram is good, which is because they're both quite skilled at their craft, but those books were labors of love and passion.

So -- there's an article, and an example of the time, work and pay off that's possible.

BryanFischer

Registered
Reaction score
Great article, thanks! I design and publish board games. Very much the same.

Lady Lost

The Whisper in the Dark
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff. -^,..,^- My bf and I are working on a graphic novel series ourselves. We're co-writers and co-illustrators, which is nice, we can each draw things the other isn't so splendiferous at. Same in writing.