So Who is going to Win in New Hampshire?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
On the Democratic side, probably Bernie.

On the Republican side ... Trump has been polling way ahead for months, but tonight he got booed on stage. The Union Leader endorsed Christie.

The polls have been wrong before.

My feeling: It's anyone's game.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
On the Republican side, Rubio might pull off the upset and get some momentum. On the Democratic side, it'll definitely be Bernie.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the consensus that Bernie will win on the Democratic side.

The Republican side is more difficult to call. The polls make it look like a Trump landslide, but my gut says it's probably going to be closer than that. I'm no Nate Silver, but my best guess would still be Trump, followed by Rubio and Kasich just edging past Cruz, in that order. Bush looks like he's stuck in 5th. Christie, Fiorina and Carson in a battle royale for 6th.

I'd also guess that Christie and Fiorina will drop out, after the results are in.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Bernie's a lock.

Before last night's debate, I would've said Rubio probably had a decent chance of pulling it out on the Republican side, but Christie went after him and he imploded. Like... bad. He repeated the same canned line about Obama twice three times, which Christie then pointed out is a tactic used by those who don't know what they're talking about and can't think beyond a stump speech, which Rubio responded to by... repeating the line again. :e2drown: Pretty much up there with Perry's "oops" moment.

For anyone who's curious, but didn't watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeyxiLT9R6M

I'm tempted to repeat my last long-shot pick of an upset by Kasich, who showed himself to be at least semi-rational, but apparently, that's a bad thing in a Republican primary so, I'm guessing Trump or Cruz.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Latest polls have Trump up by 17-21 points. I think he will win, by not by that much. The rest is a guess. Rubio stumbled early in the debate and then rallied later- but did viewers stay around long enough to see it? Kasich was polling fairly well and may surprise - he could come in second. The other Governors need to do well to have any chance at winning the nomination.
Predicted order of finish: Trump, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz, Christie, Bush, Carson, Fiorina.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If any of the other Republicans have any sense, on Monday everyone in New Hampshire should have their mailboxes flooded with flyers saying "Donald Trump supports Northern Pass!" plus a huge ad buy for TV, radio, and Internet saying the same thing.

Do that and Trump'll finish behind Bush.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say Sanders and Trump, given the poll numbers. But even if they both win, the margin of victory will be scrutinized. Both really need to win pretty big, or it will look like a loss. After his bizarre debate debacle, Rubio might now have the most at stake. He was never going to win, but his percentage of the vote will be really important.

caw

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The wild card in New Hampshire is that about 40% of voters are "undeclared" - meaning they can choose which primary to vote in. If they decide to vote in the GOP primary, I'd expect Kasich to get a boost - if they go Democrat, then Sanders might benefit.
Like Iowa, Trump is at risk if he doesn't match expectations, even if he wins.
I also expect that one or two of the Governors will be on their way out soon - unless there is a virtual 3-way tie.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, when I was in NH over the weekend, I saw more JEB signs than anyone else. Then again, for all I know, it could be one guy going crazy putting signs everywhere.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, when I was in NH over the weekend, I saw more JEB signs than anyone else. Then again, for all I know, it could be one guy going crazy putting signs everywhere.

JEB has a crapload of money, which he is now spending in desperation. Signs do not equate to votes. I think the Bush dynasty is currently surviving on a ventilator, which will soon be unplugged.

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
New Hampshire has a winter storm forecast.
If so, who will that favor on the dem side?

I would imagine Bernie, because his supporters are more passionate. On the other hand, his support is strongest with young people who often don't make it to the polls anyway and might not feel like going out in a storm. On the other other hand, bad weather won't bother them as much as it might older people.

On the GOP side, is it possible bad weather would tend to make voters who are still undecided just stay home? And who would that hurt the most?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
For what it's worth, when I was in NH over the weekend, I saw more JEB signs than anyone else.

Those signs all went up last Thursday. In great sweeping swathes of them, twenty at a time side by side, along various roads all over the state. Before Thursday ... I don't think I saw even one.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've posted the results from Dixville Notch and Millsfield on my blog.

Short version:

Dixville Notch:

Kasich -- 3
Trump -- 2

Sanders -- 4
Clinton -- 0

Millsfield:

Trump -- 3
Cruz -- 9
Rubio -- 1
Kasich -- 1
Bush -- 1
Christie -- 1
Fiorino -- 1
Paul -- 1

Clinton -- 2
Sanders -- 1

--------------

I don't know what Hart's Location did... that's a bit of a drive for me. I'm sure it will be on the news eventually.

----------------------------

Update:

Hart's Location:

Sanders -- 12
Clinton -- 7
Greenstein -- 2

Kasich -- 5
Trump -- 4
Christie -- 2
Bush -- 1
Rubio --1
Carson -- 1

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaand…. Sanders jumps out to an insurmountable lead. All the analysts agree that Clinton absolutely HAD to win Dixville Notch in order to stay competitive, and she just couldn't cut it, apparently.

Sorry Hillary. There's always South Carolina.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aaaaand…. Sanders jumps out to an insurmountable lead. All the analysts agree that Clinton absolutely HAD to win Dixville Notch in order to stay competitive, and she just couldn't cut it, apparently.

This isn't true. Back in 2008 she had no votes in Dixville Notch and went on to take the state.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
When do the Grover's Corners results come in?