Greeting from a beginner

fuegoel

Burn, Baby, Burn!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! I'm a newbie. After having registered an account this afternoon, I saw lots of introduction here, but I wasn't brave enough to do it. Not until I was encouraged to introduce myself did I finally do it. I'm just a beginner, and I enjoy writing (I'm bad at communicating). It's embarrassing that I started writing with fanfiction. Once I started, I found it interesting to write and build worlds. I somehow didn't succeed since constructive criticism and even comment, feedback (saying what they think after reading) could rarely/barely be found on fanfiction.net, and I'm not into writing drama for teenagers (although I'm not an adult yet). Last night, I saw someone talking about absolutewrite as a good site where I can find critiques. And I don't like it when some people said non-native English speakers couldn't write *frown*. That's the reason I want to try and practise. All right, I talked too much =) Since I like learning new things, I really look forward to learning more from other people =)
Thanks for reading!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, fuegoel.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

The Share Your Work section is a great place for critique. You need 50 plus posts to put your own work up, but you can view and even work up those posts critiquing others. I do recommend spending a good amount of time there before posting to get a feel for the place and the common problems critters like me run into with work.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Don't be embarrassed by your fanfiction roots. Many a great writers started from fanfiction. Be proud that you were gathering experience. Continue to improve.

fuegoel

Burn, Baby, Burn!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for your encouragement! And thanks everyone too!

Dorian Graves

Deadly and Drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doriangraves.com
It's embarrassing that I started writing with fanfiction. Once I started, I found it interesting to write and build worlds. I somehow didn't succeed since constructive criticism and even comment, feedback (saying what they think after reading) could rarely/barely be found on fanfiction.net, and I'm not into writing drama for teenagers (although I'm not an adult yet).
Hey, never be embarrassed where your writing roots came from!...Okay, I might be a wee bit embarrassed that I started out with fanfiction too, but it's more for the fandom I worked in than anything. Anyway, welcome, fellow ex-fanfic writer! I'm new here too, so I hope we both find what we came here for! :D

Last edited:

OTurtle

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I don't believe in having "guilty pleasures" with food, and I don't believe in being ashamed of what we write either. Write what you love and see where it takes you!

Another User

Still confused and curious
Registered
Reaction score
You sound a lot like me. I'm also a beginner and I just joined yesterday. Welcome :D

fuegoel

Burn, Baby, Burn!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Well, I guess it was a bit embarrassing but not guilty. All I care about is I'm learning from SYW now.
@Dorian Graves: PM sent :D