word 2013- need help fixing indentation, thanks in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
Editing my manuscript and the indentation for the first line of each paragraph , and for dialogue is all randomly different ....is there any way to fix it all without doing it individually ( 277 pages, ack!) ??? Thanks so much.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
First, what EXACTLY is the problem with the indentation? Are you using tabs, or (more sensibly) setting indentation via the ruler? Do you have carriage returns at the ends of lines which shouldn't be there? There are lots of potential pitfalls.

If you are using tabs, the first thing to do is get rid of 'em.

Whether or not you're doing that, highlight (select) the entire manuscript, and then set a standard indentation style with the ruler. If that doesn't work, you have some other problem regarding the relationship between paragraphs, and it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what that might be.

And if you're editing, presumably you're looking at each individual paragraph anyway, so you might take that as an opportunity to fix indentation problems as you go.

In any case, you first need to figure out what the problem really is. The indentation irregularity is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. And there might be multiple problems.

caw

Last edited:

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

More details: So, I'm old school, and when I was writing, sometimes I was hitting tab for new paragraph and sometimes just hitting 5 spaces. ( I don't know why I did this. In my mind, I was just thinking, type, get it on the page, fix later). Then there was the case of lots of editing where I was cutting and pasting from different drafts. It seems as if the problem lies mostly with my dialogue, although yeah, it's still there with some paragraphs.

Google search showed me that I needed to set the first line at .5 and not keep hitting tab or space bar. However, now that its 277 pages I was trying to go back to fix. Did try to select all and fix, but for some reason there are numerous pesky outliers that are indented 2x...

thanks for trying, I'm just going to go through and manually fix, as part of an editing pass through.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There still are some quicker fixes for this problem. I do a lot of editing of electronic manuscripts that require fixing these kinds of problems. Among things you can do: replace every occurrence of two consecutive spaces with a single space. There's generally little reason to have two spaces in a row in a manuscript. Then if you still have a single space first line indent, do a global replace for paragraph mark-space, and change that just to a paragraph mark. And, as I said, just get rid of your tabs; best way to do this is to globally replace the tab character with nothing. Once you've got your manuscript all aligned left, with no indentation, THEN select the whole thing and use the ruler to set first line indentation.

If you have need for tabs in some places, those can be reset during your editing process. Keep in mind also that you can do things like center text without using tabs.

As I said, I go through this exercise a lot. I hope that all makes sense. In any case, you'll now know how to avoid this hassle in the first place.

caw

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There are many that are now indented twice because you still have tabs and multiple spaces in your documents.

I would:
1) Select all, and under Paragraph, set to first line at .5.
2) Do a replace all for tabs, using ^t to denote a tab. Replace all tabs with nothing.
3) Do a replace all for multiple spaces. Replace 2 spaces with 1, and do this a few times until you have no instances of multiple spaces. (Or just do a single replace all for 5 spaces, if you know you always used 5.)
4) To remove single spaces at the beginning of paragraphs, replace ^p (denotes paragraph) followed by a space with simply ^p.
5) You can fix additional errors in your editing pass, but doing the above should make it much faster.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
It's perfectly fixable. Trust me. I'm given a lot of stuff with "fake formatting" and extra spaces that I have to transfer from Word to Publisher and make perfect. All heck breaks loose if I don't groom it first :ROFL: Once you have those few replace codes memorized, life is easier.

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!! Tabs replaced 597 times, and extra spaces 2697 times !!!!!!

Thank you Blacbird and LJD for taking the time to respond and write down the step by step instructions. Thank you Matera for your support and for giving me a name for my problem "replace codes". I wrote it all down on 3x5 cards and filed away for the future.

I wasn't even aware I could do all this, and wasn't even sure how to phrase my question to describe what was going on... it's a whole other language...sometimes you don't know what to ask or how to ask it, so then you can't even google it. Now I know.

Hugs and thank you!!!!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As a related hint I've found useful: You do have to be wary when doing these kinds of global search/replace things. It is easy to screw something up and actually make it worse, if you don't think it out carefully. If I'm uncertain, I frequently will replace something with a character-string that won't occur normally in the text, like "qqqq" or "zzzz". Then I can check that to see if it really accomplished what I intended. If it does, than I just replace that character-string with the thing I wanted.

caw

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Blacbird, I was actually thinking of doing a global replace to fix my quotes, making sure I placed all of my punctuation inside. do you think this is a bad idea?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Blacbird, I was actually thinking of doing a global replace to fix my quotes, making sure I placed all of my punctuation inside. do you think this is a bad idea?

That could get tricky, depending on how you've used quotations. If they are entirely in dialogue, you could globally replace "? for instance, with ?" to catch the end of questions. You'd need to do something similar for periods, commas, exclamation points. You'd also have to make sure you don't have any extraneous spaces involved. Now, for the next BIG hint:

Make a copy of your text, and try the replacement on that. Never ever ever mess with the only copy of a manuscript that you have.

caw

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Noted. Thanks, B.

I will try it this weekend when I am on my laptop. During the week, I use a mini iPad on my lunch break, and it has limitatations.

Status
Not open for further replies.