Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Sands Press

figuring it all out UnbearableLight's Avatar

Sands Press

Didn't see this one in CaoPaux's index and a search failed to turn up a thread, so... Does anyone know anything about Sands Press? They are participating in today's pitch 2 pub twitter event.

http://www.sandspress.com/

The front page shows books, so they are at least facing readers more than writers, and they have a webstore. Their covers look amateurish and I'm put off by the $500.00 web dev service they're selling through the store. I haven't checked the books' Amazon rankings.

The website doesn't list who's on staff, but I have my suspicions based on the catalog. I might have missed it, though.

"Sands Press strives to provide full publishing to all of our clients, however we reserve the right to discuss co-publishing as an option for certain projects."

That looks like a red flag. There's no further discussion of co-publishing anywhere else, nor any mention of advances/royalty fees structures that I can see.

e: The site may be unsecure/have malware -- browse with caution.
    Last edited by UnbearableLight; 02-03-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: weird website problem?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I second this question. Anyone have any experience with them? I know they're brand new, and that can be a good sign or a not-good sign.

*lurk*
    Symantec warns that there's something unsafe on the website being blocked (looks like the site is trying to download an .exe to my system), so I wouldn't click on that link if you don't have a good firewall, FYI.
    Twitter: @tiakall

Oh! Weird! I didn't get anything through Chrome with up to date MSE. I'll edit the OP.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    This is an odd one.

Sands Press has the same Ontario address as Sands Medical, which as the name suggests is a medical supplies provider:

http://www.sands.ca/

The Sands Press website was registered by Kevin Davidson. From his LinkedIn profile:

Marketing, Relations & Regulatory Affairs

Sands Canada

February 2010 Present (6 years 1 month)
    Email, print and other media advertising. Maintaining the Sands web site while offering methods for manufacturers and other industry related companies to advertise on our site.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevindavidson2009

practical experience, FTW stormowl7's Avatar

Question Sands Press

Has anyone published with them?

http://www.sandspress.com/

They liked my #Pit2Pub pitch, but I'd really like some feedback on authors who have worked with this press

p.s. I checked through (and did a search) for this press, but I couldn't find anything on absolutewrite.com - really hoping I didn't miss it or something!)

<link snipped>

Just earlier today. A mod will soon merge threads.

Use the Google custom search bar at the bottom of the page for searches. it came up on top.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 02-04-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!
    Don't Fear Failure.

"Look at the sound of all these people on fire. I want to be on fire, do you want to be on fire?" -- Most Roads Lead to Home, Listener.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Some observations from poking around:

Most of the books on their shop aren't published by them. You can find them all on Amazon and they are listed under different presses (some you can find info on, some not), and only two of what I've seen are published by them. Sometimes the other press or "self-published" is listed on their site, sometimes not.

Makes me think this is a press put together by an author or two because they believe they can pull it off (probably Dennis Stein and/or Perry Prete as most of their books, both self-pubbed and through a press, are up). Which is worrying. Wouldn't know as their "About us" says nothing about people.

The reviews that are up are either doctored as they were copy+pasted from other sites and altered and given five stars regardless of prior review rating or just seem fabricated (and, of course, as this is a private site and thus fully controlled this is entirely possible).

Like I said, seems like a press put up because an author or two thought, "Well, I(we) can self-publish, why not publish other people?"

Pass.
    Don't Fear Failure.

"Look at the sound of all these people on fire. I want to be on fire, do you want to be on fire?" -- Most Roads Lead to Home, Listener.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    First time posting on AW!

I've been considering submitting to Sands Press for the past couple months, but I've been hoping to find out more about them first.

I've actually read a couple of the books written by authors attached to them. From what I gather the books are self-published and the writing quality is not terribly good, but I am a pretty critical reader.

It seems to be that Perry Prete has started Sands Press after having several of his own books being published (I'm not sure if they were self-published or not) and I suspect that Willsauger is correct about a few self-published authors setting up Sands Press as a way of publishing their own work and then publishing the work of other writers in order to make some extra money.

Now, with that being said, it seems like they're looking for books to publish traditionally (not a vanity press), but I'm suspicious since at least some of the authors they work with don't seem to have a track record of being published with a traditional publisher.

The co-publishing issue and probable lack of actual distribution makes me think we can't call this trad publishing.

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Hmmmm...the website's registered to a Kevin Davidson who lists his current employment as "Sands Canada" and "Kevin Davidson. (sic) Hosting, Design & SEO Services". He lists his position with Sands as "Marketing, Relations & Regulatory Affairs". Aside from the use of an ampersand and the lack of an Oxford comma, I find the statement, "Maintaining the Sands web site while offering methods for manufacturers and other industry related companies to advertise on our site" a little...odd. Does he simply mean that he's their web designer and that they support their website by allowing third-party ads or what?

No apparent experience with publishing as his LinkedIn profile lists his university major as "Radio".

As for Perry Prete, LinkedIn has the skinny on "Sands Canada" not to be confused with Sands Press. Sands Canada "designs and manufactures a complete line of EMS deployment bags and now, travel luggage" according to the info given for Mr. Prete. His work experience is as a paramedic, self-employed president of Sands Canada since 1987, author since 2013, and, as of 2015, President of Sands Press.

I'm not seeing any publishing or editing experience, but I could be missing something.

ETA: I'm always a tad leery of publishers that are so shy of naming their staff. If I pop over to Tor, say, and have a look at their "About" page, everyone's listed from the associate publisher down to (this isn't meant in a slighting manner) the publicity and marketing manager. Here? Mr. Prete's name is mentioned here and there, Mr. Davidson has written one of the site's blog entries. Two other people have written blog entries, but whether they're authors of the house, employees or random strangers, there's no way of knowing. Why so shy?
    Last edited by FluffBunny; 02-06-2016 at 01:25 AM. Reason: The bit I forgot.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    My crit partner published her debut book with a Sands Publishing out of California in 2001, but it doesn't sound as though these are the same parties. If any detail is wanted, PM me and I'll try to answer.
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis