Hey, from Kansas!

tgmeier

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys!

So. I suppose I should introduce myself, eh? I'm Tristan, I'm seventeen, and I definitely love writing. I've actually been doing it since I was... oh, twelve? I've won NaNoWriMo three times, but I only count this last one because everything else I've written has been more or less trash. In 2014 I did a fantastic piece about time-traveling vikings and in 2012 I did a post apocalyptic piece about people who survive by living on a city made of blimps and wherein the apocalypse is caused by a gigantic methane belch from the gulf of Mexico. Whatever works, I guess.

And we don't talk about 2011, where I tried to write a story about a hypothetical Apollo 18 mission to the moon. I didn't know how to plot yet, nor did I fully understand dialogue, and somehow the astronauts ended up crashing in Antarctica and living amongst the penguins for a while. Don't ask me, I have no idea.

That brings us to... today. Today, I'm currently working on what I consider to be the climax of these other failures: a trilogy, of which the first draft for the first book is done at 110k words. Its premise is.. something different. I went broader with this one. Some might say too broad, but... we'll see where it ends up. It's the story of twelve people on a spaceship headed for the edge of the universe, their interactions with each other and all that jazz. I decided to go with hard sci-fi for this, so I went and took a few weeks to actually design a ship that could plausibly do this (For those wondering, it's a bussard ramjet engine that plays with time dilation to get to places faster) and christened it the Gaia.

The story of the Gaia is a long one. How do I know this? Because they haven't even left the solar system yet. I finished the first draft for the first book at 110k and I'm 15k into the second book, and they are still inside the sun's sphere of influence. Already there've been mutinies, love affairs, mechanical failures, a stowaway, all things that you'd expect. I'll be honest, I'm totally excited about the prospect of making this. It's served to keep me sane at times- whenever I'm frustrated or sad or anything, I can use that emotion to write a frustrated or sad tone more realistically. It's helped me survive junior year (so far) and I'm definitely looking forward to finishing the saga... whenever that happens. I still have no idea. We'll see where it goes from here.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks for welcoming me into the community! I know that my time here will be awesome. Until next time.

-Tristan

Last edited:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Tristan. Congratulations on all your work so far. Have you started querying yet or are you going to finish the trilogy first?

tgmeier

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even totally sure how querying works, if I'm being honest. I figure two things: one, that I should finish the whole thing first and then go and refine everything down until it's perfect; and two, that no company would take someone as young as me seriously, anyway. I'll probably work on finishing this thing over the next year or two and then start that process. That seems like the most logical thing to do.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Age has nothing to do with a good story well told. I agree, though, that finishing it and polishing it within an inch of its life is a very smart thing to do . . . with any MS, at any age.

tgmeier

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I have had fantasies about paying for college with writing money. Something tells me that that exact scenario won't come to pass, but, ya know. In any case, it's a long time yet before I'm finished here, editing and revising notwithstanding. My plan right now is to hand the first book off to a couple friends and have them read through it while I start making inroads into the second, and then we'll plan from there.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
As Ari has said, age doesn't matter. If you are a talented writer with a great plot, doors will open for you quite fast. I believe Jake Marcionette started searching for agents at 12 and was 13 when he hit the NYT bestseller list in either late 2013 or early 2014. Although he wrote MG, it is still a marvelous accomplishment.

Again, I agree with Ari, it must be polished down to every comma.

tgmeier

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to look up Jake, I haven't heard his story. That is definitely interesting, though. I'll have to rethink my strategy of waiting until I turn twenty after all. :ROFL:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Tristan.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!